News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

I pre-ordered the Metz game based on a podcast interview with the designer.  Luttmann seems like a pretty straightforward guy.  The preview stuff that is out for the game looks original enough to garner interest, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 07, 2014, 08:02:10 PM
Looking at consim forums for the above two games, Rick Barber is apparently heavily involved. His maps alone would/will be the reason why I pull the trigger on these.

Rick Barber knows his shit when it comes to maps and the ACW.

Berkut

Who has ever made the argument that Sickles was anything but a douche-bag that got his Corps wrecked to no real purpose?

I am curious as  to the idea that somehow Sickles actions (even inadvertently) were a positive for the Union.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

I have never heard that Sickles was anything but an incompetent and that his decision to move his Corps forward was anything but a disaster.  The Fifth Corps (and others) had to be rushed in to save the Union.  Nearly lost the whole damn battle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I should have included this in my note, from the GMT site for the game:

"During the subsequent vicious fighting, Sickles' corps not only received a battlefield "hammering" from Hood's and McLaws' Confederate Divisions, but long after the battle ended Sickles himself had to endure a political "hammering" from various critics regarding his conduct. Nonetheless, some observers feel that his actions that day in fact saved the Army of the Potomac, and thus perhaps the Union itself, from destruction. Now YOU command the valiant troops on both sides of this critical battle and determine for yourself whether this singular maneuver was one of the most brilliant, one of the most arrogant or one of the most ill-advised risks taken during the American Civil War. "

Maybe just an attempt to create some narrative where the move itself could make some kind of sense...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

What a bunch of nonsense.  If Sickles had the 3rd Corps up on the hills like he should have it would be been a suicide attack for the Confederacy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The Metz game looks intriguing.  Does the designer have a track record?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

He's designed a couple of solid solitaire games--Dawn of the Zeds and In Magnificent Style.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Maladict on May 09, 2014, 05:47:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
GMT SALE

Broke down and bought The Dark Valley.

I have been reading the rules online til my copy comes in from Amazon tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon prime.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

From Starkweather back in January.

QuoteWhy yes, heading into final play testing as soon as we have some art to show off...I'm hoping to have a prototype of the game at Stack in Montreal in May and Andy might be showing off the game at WBC this year.

Finally getting to the final stages...can't say much more in terms of scheduling as it depends on how well it plays when in the hands of play testers. It has some unusual stuff in it that while I think it all purrs along, I need to see how it plays when I'm not around.

Ed Anger

All the blood rushed to my penis.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

All your blood rushed to my penis, too.  It's about damned time on that project.

Habbaku

I'm pretty ambivalent about Starkweather stuff these days.  Guy has a tendency to abandon stuff to the wolves after publishing (IE, not resolve rules issues), promise more than he delivers and such.  I'm still eager to see the finished product, but I doubt I'll pre-order.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

My first dip into PzG. I'm also looking at the Korea modules. I will make a Timmay counter for those.

Deathride Kursk: SS-T. The SS-LAH and SS-DR in the works. Then to wait on the 3rd Panzer Corps sector. I should be able to replicate the offense in real time.... :lol: