News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

frunk

Quote from: frunk on November 24, 2020, 10:21:32 PM
Got my copy of High Frontier 4th Edition on Sunday.  First solitaire game tonight ended with a whimper with me failing two 50/50 shots to claim M Spectral asteroids to get a quick factory.  I ended up getting out to Saturn to get my factory, but by then it was far too late.  I played it safe and FINAO'd all of the hazards, where I'll probably take more risks next time.

I've been playing roughly a solitaire game every two days since I got it.  Tremendous fun, although a lot of the solitaire scenarios need work (definitely check the living rules out).

bogh

Hardly a new game by any definition, but I am playing a fair bit of Paths of Glory these days (some in person, some online via Vassal, both against the same opponent). It's just an amazing game, dunno why I never got into it before.

Maladict

Quote from: bogh on December 16, 2020, 08:32:16 AM
Hardly a new game by any definition, but I am playing a fair bit of Paths of Glory these days (some in person, some online via Vassal, both against the same opponent). It's just an amazing game, dunno why I never got into it before.

Yes, it is. I really like Pursuit of Glory as well.

Tamas

Yes Pursuit of Glory is also awesome but definitely should start with Paths.

Illusions of Glory (with the 2nd edition update) is also pretty nice, but it is not great like the other two, just good.

Habbaku

Pursuit is definitely the best of the trio, and the closest to reproducing the history as well. I haven't played Illusions, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Shame the map is so ugly though.

bogh

What map is ugly? I am playing the Deluxe Historical map and I think it looks pretty neat.

Sell me on Illusions and Pursuit. From the outside they just look like zoomed in, less epic versions?

Maladict

Quote from: bogh on December 17, 2020, 02:29:42 AM
What map is ugly? I am playing the Deluxe Historical map and I think it looks pretty neat.

Sell me on Illusions and Pursuit. From the outside they just look like zoomed in, less epic versions?

Pursuit's map, it looks cheaply photoshopped.

Pursuit is epic, if you don't mind some chrome and lots of special rules. I think it captures very well the (relatively) massive Caucasus front as well as the unnervingly thinly defended lines elsewhere. It feels much more than Paths like a balancing act, where you could be check-mated at any time. Plus I think replayability is better, the games are always different.
I'm not sold on the Russian Revolution mechanic, and the Balkan front feels tacked on. But definitely a great game, I do like it better than Paths.

celedhring

Played Paths of Glory many, many moons ago. Left a really good taste.

bogh

Quote from: Maladict on December 17, 2020, 03:39:58 AM

Pursuit's map, it looks cheaply photoshopped.

Gotcha. That's a shame.

Tamas

Quote from: bogh on December 17, 2020, 02:29:42 AM

I don't want to sell you on Illusions until you have played Paths and Pursuit to death, they are clearly superior, great games. It's just that if you like the formula, Illusions is worth playing as well imho, but not as much as the other two.

Pursuit has more chrome than Paths so its a bit more complex but also seems to carry far more historical simulation value. Paths is an amazing game but its simulation value dances on a razor's edge, really.

bogh

To be honest, I am not bothered by ahistorical outcomes all that much. I care much more about the game than the simulation.

Berkut

I am torn between whether I prefer Paths to Pursuit.

I suspect Pursuit is the better game, at the end of the day. But I think Paths will always have a special place in my heart.

I've never beaten Habs at Pursuit. Not once. Which makes me suspect it must have some very serious inate flaw.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on December 17, 2020, 04:57:11 PM
I've never beaten Habs at Pursuit. Not once. Which makes me suspect it must have some very serious inate flaw.

Same. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.