News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

I've played it a bunch and enjoyed every session thoroughly. Replay value isn't infinite, but I'd be happy to play it again. Pretty cool and quite cinematic.

Habbaku

Mark Simonitch's latest, Caesar: Rome vs. Gaul just landed. Gorgeous package all around, and they even include card protectors in the box since the cards are a strange size.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: bogh on November 06, 2020, 02:10:06 PM
I've played it a bunch and enjoyed every session thoroughly. Replay value isn't infinite, but I'd be happy to play it again. Pretty cool and quite cinematic.

I was set to play my first game of Nemesis at a friends' place back in February. I had to work that weekend and I missed it. Thought, "well, I'll make it to the next game". Let's say it's being a long wait  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

After nearly 3 years of silence it seems like Rachel (Bowen) Simmons is back, with a flurry of detailed posts on the development blog for Stavka over the past few months.  Looks like the design is moving along nicely.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

A while ago I checked out the basic Next War rules via Vassal and liked them, so now I have decided that since it'll be a lockdown Christmas, I am going to spend my two weeks off work learning the system. I am looking into picking up used copies of Poland and India-Pakistan.

11B4V

Good series. I-P is the only one I'm missing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

I delved into Kickstarter for

Machina Arcana
Nemo's War
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Recent arrivals:

Versailles 1919, a Euro game with light bargaining mechanics and themed around the 4 powers (USA, Italy, France, UK) and Japan making a guest-appearance negotiating over the wild lines of borders and the state of the world in the wake of the defeat of the Central Powers. Best with 4, definitely, and I look forward to playing it more, but it's pretty light. Not sure if it'll stand the test of time or be put on the sell pile after a few more plays.

Far better is Caesar: Rome vs. Gaul, which is in the Hannibal mold. The art's great, the rules very clear, and has enough of a difference from Hannibal to make it a truly distinct game rather than just a remake that switches the license plates. After two games, I think it may end up replacing Hannibal for me. The play is faster, the decisions more interesting, and there's not a whole lot of blow-out moves like Hannibal where an entire army can be gacked due to one bad battle. Instead, both sides have to manage a consistent series of their attention being drawn away. The Romans have to consider attrition on their legions while the Gauls have to fret over how many tribes the Romans whack while waiting on the big bads (Ambiorix and Vercingetorix) to show up and bring the disparate tribes together.

The combat system is exceptional as well. Both sides roll two dice and have a set number of re-rolls that can be used on either their own dice or the other guy's, with the attacker going first on the decision. Caesar gets a base of 3 re-rolls while everyone else gets 1, but Caesar can only be in one location on a very, very large map. The Romans do, however, have a base level of competence--no matter what the dice show, the lowest they can get is a 3 on each die, making Caesar's ability really shine in mitigating damage to his own army.

Strong recommendation from me here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: 11B4V on November 24, 2020, 01:21:52 PM
Nemo's War

It's gorgeous. I'll be looking forward to your impressions if you manage to get your hands on it. I am afraid it may be a little finicky for my taste.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 24, 2020, 04:03:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 24, 2020, 01:21:52 PM
Nemo's War

It's gorgeous. I'll be looking forward to your impressions if you manage to get your hands on it. I am afraid it may be a little finicky for my taste.

It is.

I have the 2nd edition and expansion card packs. I have yet to get it to the table.

11B4V

frunk

Got my copy of High Frontier 4th Edition on Sunday.  First solitaire game tonight ended with a whimper with me failing two 50/50 shots to claim M Spectral asteroids to get a quick factory.  I ended up getting out to Saturn to get my factory, but by then it was far too late.  I played it safe and FINAO'd all of the hazards, where I'll probably take more risks next time.

Tamas

I'll have a 3 day weekend from tomorrow, but my parcel with the two Next War games have been delayed and now showing as arriving on Monday. This is unbearable.

Tamas

Well did get the Next War games in time. :P

I am quite taken with the system for now. A lot of interesting stuff are happening and seem to cover modern war well, even if abstracted. Having special forces near-ruin a critical supply depot because previously their side wrestled limited control of the skies and thus could auto-spot it, or have SF recon an enemy HQ's location so it could be SCUD-ed into oblivion , are pretty cool. And the main combat and supply systems seem to work well without being excessively complicated.

In fact I am not sure I'd bother with playing with the basic rules if coming in new to the series as a reasonably experienced wargamer. The advanced air system is pretty much a second game attached to the main one so arguments can be made for using the basic air system with the rest of the advanced rules if you are really not into modern aircrafts, but otherwise the basic game is just a hollow shell and the game really needs the advanced features of supply and HQs at least to let you realise what a neat system it is.

The advanced air system is pretty cool though. I am playing a "Border War" campaign scenario in India-Pakistan which is the "Pakistan attacks" setup, basically. At the start you roll for foreign intervention, and India ended up drawing the short stick, they only get some supplies, GtG missiles, and special forces from Russia with the US staying out altogether while China got fully involved on the side of Pakistan.

In Turn 1, however, bad Chinese luck maintained a parity in air superiority, however, by the start of Turn 3 as far as I can see all hope for the Indians to avoid enemy air superiority is now gone. Local air defenses did repel the first Chinese air-mobile attempt at ending the Kashmir deadlock, but down on the plains Indians are facing grave danger to their off-map supply links.

Fun game.