News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2020, 05:24:43 PM
Thirty Years War is garbage. The other two are great and worth your time.

I wish there was a really good Thirty Years War game. Apparently Ed Beach is working on one, should be ready within the next decade or two.

Habbaku

Ed is definitely working on one, but to say that's on the back-burner is an understatement.

I suspect it'll be ready within the next 4-6 years, optimistically. I'll almost certainly be playtesting it, so will probably try to recruit some of Languish for that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Gustavus Adolphus better be 6-6-6.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I think it's more likely he'll be K-I-A.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Saladin

Terrraforming Mars? Yea or nay?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

The Brain

Quote from: Saladin on June 11, 2020, 02:49:13 AM

I haven't played it. Is young Sharon Stone in it? If so then hell yea.

Saladin

Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2020, 03:30:06 AM
Quote from: Saladin on June 11, 2020, 02:49:13 AM

I haven't played it. Is young Sharon Stone in it? If so then hell yea.

Sadly no.  :(
And couldn't find any three-breasted women in it.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

celedhring

TM is a good game, but I'll go and say I think the hype is a bit too much (happens with a lot of BGG favorites).

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on June 11, 2020, 05:33:40 AM
TM is a good game, but I'll go and say I think the hype is a bit too much (happens with a lot of BGG favorites).

Agreed.

Oexmelin

If you go for it, I would buy the Prelude expansion, which speeds up (!) the game. The OG drags on a bit.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Saladin

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 11, 2020, 09:52:17 PM
If you go for it, I would buy the Prelude expansion, which speeds up (!) the game. The OG drags on a bit.

Thanks for the tip!

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2020, 05:57:01 AM
Bought a copy of this off a guy on the 'geek (I hope its legit!):

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/257599/invasions-volume-1-350-650-ad

Rules seem to be a glorious mess like La Grande Guerre's but I am ok with that.

Ok so I actually quite like this, it looks gorgeous, the guy who sold it to me also had the "in to the east" expansion that extends the map to the NW part of India. It is a sort of hardcore Britannia thing with a system for transition nations from Barbarian to Kingdom and then potentially Empire. There isn't much new in the design, although I quite like how kingdom/empire administrative management is abstracted.

However, the rules are a giant mess in their current version. I know the designer and his previous games, La Grande Guerre in particular, and I played it solo so I could decipher things at my leisure and now I feel like I have a firm grasp on it and could easily explain it to people, but it took some effort getting there. I would not like to be among the 4 players all playing their first game of this.

There's an errata arriving imminently and I hope they manage t rewrite the rules PDF soon, because otherwise the game is quite neatly balanced between playability, simulation, and alt-history story generator, so I hope they will have enough success with it to create the planned Volume II (Arab conquests and the historically far more significant Hungarian migration).

The Brain

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2020, 03:40:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2020, 05:57:01 AM
Bought a copy of this off a guy on the 'geek (I hope its legit!):

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/257599/invasions-volume-1-350-650-ad

Rules seem to be a glorious mess like La Grande Guerre's but I am ok with that.

Ok so I actually quite like this, it looks gorgeous, the guy who sold it to me also had the "in to the east" expansion that extends the map to the NW part of India. It is a sort of hardcore Britannia thing with a system for transition nations from Barbarian to Kingdom and then potentially Empire. There isn't much new in the design, although I quite like how kingdom/empire administrative management is abstracted.

However, the rules are a giant mess in their current version. I know the designer and his previous games, La Grande Guerre in particular, and I played it solo so I could decipher things at my leisure and now I feel like I have a firm grasp on it and could easily explain it to people, but it took some effort getting there. I would not like to be among the 4 players all playing their first game of this.

There's an errata arriving imminently and I hope they manage t rewrite the rules PDF soon, because otherwise the game is quite neatly balanced between playability, simulation, and alt-history story generator, so I hope they will have enough success with it to create the planned Volume II (Arab conquests and the historically far more significant Hungarian migration).

Interesting  :hmm:

Does it play well solo?

Tamas

I think it plays well, as much as it can be expected without solo rules.

The only hidden information are event and diplomacy cards. Diplomacy cards are for sort of limiting what temporary treaties you can make in a turn, usually they translate to keeping another nation off your back for a turn. Event cards can be important but usually the sort of auto-fail/succeed sieges or interceptions.

Otherwise, all nations have custom list of VP locations and sources like in Britannia, these work quite well as a list of priorities to follow with each.

Once you work the rules out the narrative is very enjoyable, and looks very pretty with the map and counters. First game I aborted at Turn 2 as is often with games as  I have learned enough and realised the early mistakes. Second one was longer (stopped at Turn 6 out 12 as I really wanted to try the East expansion), and quite evocative.

Turn 1 was a bit of a warmup with 350AD. (each turn is 25 years), although the Persian-Roman border starts off rather intense. Turn 2 the Huns arrived with a special turn order.

Then Turn 3 the Suebi-Vandal-Alan coalition gets a special turn of being allied and having a special turn order. The VP rules basically give you a chance to gamble to go and pillage Rome for extra VP. I opted for that with them but in hindsight it is wiser to first assess just how strong West Rome is at that point. :P A series of successful interceptions by Stilicho in Italy and later in Gaul turned the great invasion into less than the rout it was historically. But the barbarians did manage to punch a hole and pour through into Northern Italy and southern Gaul. Seeing the stacks move about Gaul and later Hispania with Western Rome having increasing trouble avoiding collapse due to the falling income and removal of controlled areas was quite evocative, as I mentioned.

Then turn 4 is the first one with Attila. There is a rule for the Huns to try and establish an empire after his death but the requirements are rather punitive so unless you manage to do exceptionally well, you are better off pillaging everything in sight and vassalising barbarians, to rake in the VPs while you can.

It's fun. But you have to work for it thanks to the terrible rulebook.