And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2020, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 30, 2020, 09:17:19 PM
Fuck, I just bought the whole GMT Next War series and SPI's Panzer Group Guderian.

The first step is admitting you have a problem

And of course there's supplements..... :mad: I have to have. In for a penny, in for a pound.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on April 27, 2020, 05:58:00 PM
It's probably going to be awful and horribly broken and suck terribly and be a huge disappointment and make me gnash my teeth in frustration, but I can't help but anticipate Imperial Struggle more than any game I have in a good, long time.

It's coming  :w00t:

Habbaku

:yeah: And Versailles might be added into their 3rd batch, apparently. Either way, IS is coming soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Also, Ed Beach has a new HIS themed game! I don't like it  :(

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
Mostly, my complaints are the situation (with the first edition, it should be noted) just wasn't all that fun. The campaign game (which I played 3 times) comes down to Stalingrad-esque battles with the North Vietnamese and some really weird situations around what emphasis the victory conditions placed. The fog of the years has drained a lot of the particulars out, but that's what irked me the most. Maybe the new edition has fixed it, but unless they overhauled combat and the force pool, I doubt it.

Also, there was definitely a Bradley or something on one of the counter silhouettes...

My first impression is that I should have listened to you.

Habbaku

:( I didn't want to be right, but hopefully you can sell it on to someone else. I pretty much avoid all John Poniske designs these days.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Bought a copy of this off a guy on the 'geek (I hope its legit!):

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/257599/invasions-volume-1-350-650-ad

Rules seem to be a glorious mess like La Grande Guerre's but I am ok with that.

Maladict

Snapped up a first edition of GMT's Napoleonic Wars, mostly because it was dirt cheap.
Actually looks like a fun game, too.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on June 06, 2020, 07:17:34 AM
Snapped up a first edition of GMT's Napoleonic Wars, mostly because it was dirt cheap.
Actually looks like a fun game, too.

Fond memories, had some great multiplayer F2F sessions of it. It is pretty fun.

Habbaku

Shame you only got the first edition, as the 2nd has some new cards that do add something to the came. I suppose it's possible you could proxy them?

Either way, definitely use the updated rules! The game's great fun.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

I have now a pull towards CDG... :Embarrass:

Wilderness War
Here I Stand
Thirty Years War

:cry:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Thirty Years War is garbage. The other two are great and worth your time.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

I am a big fan of WW. I used it in class as a pedagogical device.
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on June 07, 2020, 05:24:43 PM
Thirty Years War is garbage. The other two are great and worth your time.

Nonsense. It's not great, but it's OK.