News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on April 03, 2020, 09:09:56 AM
For The People is a great game, until you play it against people who have figured out how to game it, and then it is a very good game, just not much like the American Civil War.

I don't see how spamming 1 strength Union troops all over can be a workable Union strategy though.

no room for beets
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 04:20:46 AM
For the People I used to like, until a PBEM opponent (NOT PHD :P) used this terribly-looking strategy of spamming 1-strenght Union units on every space conceivable to beat me easily. I don't remember the details -it was like 15 years ago- but it made the game look ugly and gamey for some reason.

I would never do such a thing.  Now a game that allows the building of Grand Divisions is my kind of game.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on April 03, 2020, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 04:20:46 AM
For the People I used to like, until a PBEM opponent (NOT PHD :P) used this terribly-looking strategy of spamming 1-strenght Union units on every space conceivable to beat me easily. I don't remember the details -it was like 15 years ago- but it made the game look ugly and gamey for some reason.

I would never do such a thing.  Now a game that allows the building of Grand Divisions is my kind of game.

Ah right, THAT'S how you cheated, now I remember!

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on April 03, 2020, 10:23:43 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2020, 04:02:19 AM
Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India

COIN :blurgh:

I think it is well done. It has some neat mechanics to deal with the non-violent factions imho, and it is probably the simplest COIN I have played.

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 12:59:09 PM

Ah right, THAT'S how you cheated, now I remember!

Pfft, cheated.  I used the build system and the division/corps system in the game to max out size of the union units.  Even Burnside could figure that one out.  He just decided to throw his more tightly controlled army across a river and up a fortified hill rather than, er, maneuvering more.

That was one of the few games that actually allowed the Union to raise the amount of manpower as they actually raised by 1862.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 12:59:53 PM

I think it is well done. It has some neat mechanics to deal with the non-violent factions imho, and it is probably the simplest COIN I have played.

I have no idea what COIN is.  :P

11B4V

Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2020, 06:29:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 12:59:53 PM

I have no idea what COIN is.  :P

Counter Insurgency) game series

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/four-player-coin-op/
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

One of the worst things Volko's ever inflicted upon us.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on April 03, 2020, 07:17:06 PM

I've never played them.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Do they have Grand Divisions?
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Habbaku

When someone inevitably makes a COIN game with the Indians/USA/CSA/Europe as factions, yes.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

What are the main problems with COIN? I own one COIN game but haven't played it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2020, 02:39:26 AM

What are the main problems with COIN? I own one COIN game but haven't played it.

the almost-Euro abstractions of the system do not fit that well for some of the topics I think.