And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on February 18, 2020, 06:20:19 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 18, 2020, 12:43:43 PM
I know all there is to know about The Killing Ground.

Cool, glad you're familiar with the game mechanics.

Unfortunately I'm not really though. Just got The Crying Game into my head.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Is there a light boardgame that could be used as a sort of activity on a small/tiny workplace workshop concerning negotiation skills?

Habbaku

Depends on how light you're looking?

Some suggestions to look into, depending on tolerance for time-span:

Pit
Bohnanza
Chinatown (possibly the heaviest of the three, though the mechanics are not exactly onerous)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2020, 09:58:11 AM
Is there a light boardgame that could be used as a sort of activity on a small/tiny workplace workshop concerning negotiation skills?

Monopoly
Settlers of Catan

Tamas

Thanks. Tolerance for timespan will be very little. Whole ordeal can't take more than 1.5 hours, and this would be just part of it. :P

I am thinking of finding something that we wouldn't play  to completion but still could be meaningful.

Tamas

What do you think of Dragon's Gold?

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2020, 10:34:45 AM
Thanks. Tolerance for timespan will be very little. Whole ordeal can't take more than 1.5 hours, and this would be just part of it. :P

I am thinking of finding something that we wouldn't play  to completion but still could be meaningful.

:hmm: All of the ones I mentioned definitely fall within that 1.5 hour range.

If you want something that will involve negotiation skills but won't necessarily be completed, look at John Company.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on February 28, 2020, 09:58:11 AM

I would also vote for Chinatown or Bohnanza.  I'd also add Intrigue, which is probably the most vicious game in existence.  It also has tons of negotiation.  Cosmic Encounter would work, but might be pushing the time limit with less experienced gamers.

Oexmelin

Second printing of Pax Pamir 2nd ed., in case some of you are interested. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/pax-pamir-reprint
Que le grand cric me croque !

Solmyr

So, I've been looking at some boardgames to possibly purchase and try out. As I mentioned in the vidya games thread, one is Labyrinth: The War on Terror. Then there's an older ACW game called For the People (incidentally, ACW is also being discussed in the other thread). And finally a new one, Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India. Anyone have any experience with these?

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on April 03, 2020, 04:02:19 AM
So, I've been looking at some boardgames to possibly purchase and try out. As I mentioned in the vidya games thread, one is Labyrinth: The War on Terror. Then there's an older ACW game called For the People (incidentally, ACW is also being discussed in the other thread). And finally a new one, Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India. Anyone have any experience with these?

Gandhi is pretty neat I think.

For the People I used to like, until a PBEM opponent (NOT PHD :P) used this terribly-looking strategy of spamming 1-strenght Union units on every space conceivable to beat me easily. I don't remember the details -it was like 15 years ago- but it made the game look ugly and gamey for some reason.

Labyrinth you should check out via the computer version.

celedhring

As Gloomhaven fanboi I feel it to be my duty to point out that they kickstarter for the standalone sequel is on.

Berkut

For The People is a great game, until you play it against people who have figured out how to game it, and then it is a very good game, just not much like the American Civil War.

I don't see how spamming 1 strength Union troops all over can be a workable Union strategy though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Berkut likes FTP unless he's playing against me.

I don't really enjoy FTP any more because it's the same grind of building up, grinding down, then puncturing Berkut's Union lines so I get 4 raids a turn.

Ditto the questionable 1-SP-per-space "strategy". That's not really a good one.

-J. R. R. Tolkien