The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on January 13, 2018, 05:13:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2018, 05:06:37 PM
John Company?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/john-company

Cole Wehrle (An Infamous Traffic, Pax Pamir) design. Players control a political/economist dynasty within the British East India Company from 1720 to 1857. Looks to be a hit thus far. Still waiting on my pre-order to ship.

Cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I believe they phased out their toilet division some time before the game starts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on January 13, 2018, 05:13:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2018, 05:06:37 PM
John Company?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/john-company

Cole Wehrle (An Infamous Traffic, Pax Pamir) design. Players control a political/economist dynasty within the British East India Company from 1720 to 1857. Looks to be a hit thus far. Still waiting on my pre-order to ship.

Photo of the board scared me, but it sounds awesome.

Scipio

Dropmix. New boardgame from Harmonix. Damn fun music mixing board game.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

My copy of Silver Bayonet 25th Anniversary Ed. arrived. What a component production. Wow.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Been playing Ticket to Ride (Europe). Simple, but fun game to play.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Scipio on January 14, 2018, 09:14:38 AM
Dropmix. New boardgame from Harmonix. Damn fun music mixing board game.

Quote from: Josephus on January 14, 2018, 08:13:55 PM
Been playing Ticket to Ride (Europe). Simple, but fun game to play.

I see folks are taking advantage of CdM's absence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I am selling my ziplocked copy of Pax Pamir on BGG for 60 pounds. If any of you guys are interested, I may even bother to send it to the US.

PRC

Playing Uwe Rosenbergs Patchwork lately with the special lady.  Good two players couple game.

Also picked up Photosynthesis and the Gaia Project which is a Terra Mystica variant basically.

11B4V

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/01/german-board-games-catan/550826/

The Invasion of the German Board Games

Their peaceful premises and intricate rule systems are changing the way Americans play—and helping shape an industry in the process.

In a development that would have been hard to imagine a generation ago, when video games were poised to take over living rooms, board games are thriving. Overall, the latest available data shows that U.S. sales grew by 28 percent between the spring of 2016 and the spring of 2017. Revenues are expected to rise at a similar rate into the early 2020s—largely, says one analyst, because the target audience "has changed from children to adults," particularly younger ones.

Much of this success is traceable to the rise of games that, well, get those adults acting somewhat more like children. Clever, low-overhead card games such as Cards Against Humanity, Secret Hitler, and Exploding Kittens ("A card game for people who are into kittens and explosions") have sold exceptionally well. Games like these have proliferated on Kickstarter, where anyone with a great idea and a contact at an industrial printing company can circumvent the usual toy-and-retail gatekeepers who green-light new concepts. (The largest project category on Kickstarter is "Games," and board games make up about three-quarters of those projects.)

Growth has also been particularly swift in the category of "hobby" board games, which comprises more sophisticated titles that are oriented toward older players—think Settlers of Catan. These games, compared to ones like Monopoly and Cards Against Humanity, represent a niche segment, but that segment is becoming something more than a niche: According to ICv2, a trade publication that covers board games, comic books, and other hobbyist products, sales of hobby board games in the U.S. and Canada increased from an estimated $75 million to $305 million between 2013 and 2016, the latest year for which data is available.

Maladict

more sophisticated titles that are oriented toward older players—think Settlers of Catan.

:bleeding:

Maladict

Played three rounds of Churchill today. Lots of fun, even though I didn't manage a single win. :glare:

celedhring

More Gloomhaven with my friends today. I should feel guilty to have fallen into the BGG hype machine but god, I love this game.  :sleep: