News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/218525/america-falling-coming-civil-war

Predicting the imminent collapse of the United States is a journalistic and academic commonplace as old as the republic itself. In fact, the first op-ed pieces on that theme began appearing in newspapers--both within the country itself and elsewhere around the world--before the ink on the first copy of the constitution was even properly dry back in 1787. The genre even had a name: "declinism."

Similarly, the reasons given for that supposedly inescapable fall have generally always--from the late-18th century to the present--been divided into three categories: ethno-racial conflict, class conflict, or some mixture of the two. America Falling enables two players to simulate the entire first year of a hypothesized near-future civil war--brought on by whatever is your own favorite reason--across all of the lower-48 states.

One player commands the conservative "Red" forces while the other leads the liberal "Blue" forces. The rules also allow for the possibility of local separatist movements erupting independently of those two main factions, including: The Republic of Texas, The Islamic State in America (ISIA), New Jerusalem, Aztlan, La Raza, Aryan Nation, New Afrika, Ecotopia, and The LGBTQ Rainbow Coalition.

Conflict can take place with conventional armaments as well as Weapons of Mass Destruction. Cyberwarfare is a constant.

No two games will set up or play exactly alike. The initial territorial division between the two sides is based on major cities (chosen randomly) rather than on whole states.

Game mechanics recreate the inescapable dilemmas of fratricidal struggle inherent at the start of every civil war. The keynote centers around the fact one military has suddenly become two. That means things previously taken for granted--chain of command, supply, political loyalties, etc.--have become uncertain. Nothing can be depended on; for instance, movement allowances among the same type of units may vary by as much as a factor of 12.

Play moves rapidly back and forth during each turn, one "action" at a time, in any order the players choose: enter reinforcements from off-map areas; regroup previously devastated units; move a friendly force; attempt to subvert an enemy force to defect to your side; launch a conventional, cyber or WMD attack; move your capital or attempt an airpower surge. In the end, victory hinges on the balance between control of key terrain and accumulated demoralization within the factions.

Product Information
Complexity: 6 out of 10
Solitaire Suitability: 8 out of 10
Time Scale: six two-month turns
Map Scale: 33 miles (54 km) per hex
Unit Scale: brigades, with abstracted air & naval power
Players: one or two, best with two
Playing Time: four to six hours

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe rules also allow for the possibility of local separatist movements erupting independently of those two main factions, including: The Republic of Texas, The Islamic State in America (ISIA), New Jerusalem, Aztlan, La Raza, Aryan Nation, New Afrika, Ecotopia, and The LGBTQ Rainbow Coalition.

:lol:  And I thought we got silly gaming America's destruction in the '80s.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2017, 09:11:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 15, 2017, 09:07:30 PM
Quotean ATS game.

HAHA! YOU BOUGHT A CRITICAL SHIT GAME?

Never want to hear another crack about my buying habits sir.  :mad:

Eh nothing wrong with ATS. :blurgh:

11B4V

11B4V

CountDeMoney

This trend in Ameritrash disturbs me, but you get a pass with the kids.  Perfect age to get them hooked.

What does their real father think about all this?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2017, 06:27:03 PM
This trend in Ameritrash disturbs me, but you get a pass with the kids.  Perfect age to get them hooked.

What does their real father think about all this?

It is a Zombie game. I've been waiting to catch the GDW game at a decent price.

The other is their Crusader game.

Pedrito

Being my son a bit of a Star Wars junkie, I've bought for him Star Wars: Imperial Assault for Christmas (and me being a Star Wars junkie and wanting to play the game impacts very little on the decision  :blush:).

After the first couple missions played like a nightmare, with the ton of different cards, tokens and counters on the board, now the game flows a bit easier and is becoming very interesting and fun.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

There's an official (and free) app that automates the imperial player, which makes wonders for the flow of the game. If you don't mind playing it as a pure co-op game, I heartily recommend it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2017, 10:08:54 PM
Looks like my Holiday spending spree has started. Bought a couple of Cammand mag games I don't think I have at the Enterprise Games Command Mag sale.

I'm such a sucker.

The Spree got aborted. Too much bullshit I had to deal with the past few months.

Planning on getting the Third World War new edition from Compass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

I have been testing Bios Megafauna 2nd edition out on Vassal, while I wait for my copy to arrive.

It's an Ecklund game and in a lot of ways resembles his recent designs like the Pax games.

It is very neat, great theme, and very competitive. I'd be eager to get a Languish game started but unfortunately the rulebook is pretty horrible. The game is easy and quick but you'd have no idea about any of that reading the rulebook. Takes a few short aborted test games to nail it down.

Habbaku

I'd be willing to give it a shot.

I'm also really excited to do a Languish game of John Company when I actually lay my hands on that one...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2018, 05:06:37 PM
John Company?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211716/john-company

Cole Wehrle (An Infamous Traffic, Pax Pamir) design. Players control a political/economist dynasty within the British East India Company from 1720 to 1857. Looks to be a hit thus far. Still waiting on my pre-order to ship.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien