And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

That was some of the lamest shit I've seen. You can't have a succubus in a fantasy game!

I masturbated to mind control spells before those fags were fucking born.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Delirium

I have some interesting games within arms reach but need some more info before squeezing the trigger gently.

Gamers' Civil War Brigade Series, any good? In particular Thunder at the Crossroads, 2nd ed?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

I've liked them every time I've played them, but I can never get anyone else to play them. I think me and Habs started a couple once but it never seemed to "catch" us enough to really get it going.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Yeah, I'm sure it's a fun system and I've heard people swear by it, but it fell under the tidal wave of other, shinier games.

Are you after that specific series for a reason, Del?  I'd strongly recommend the GCACW series if you haven't tried it already.  There's enough game in one box (Battle Above the Clouds or Stonewall Jackson's Way II) to last for a year.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

To be honest, it is mostly because of the Gettysburg myth. I like everything around it.  :blush:

I tried Last Chance for Victory, but the Line of Battle system just did not sit right with me, superb game and all, beautiful, exciting components, but not my cup of tea. Playing on brigade level feels like a safer bet (and a bit more manageable).

I am playing a lot of Kevin Zucker's brigade level Nappy series (TLNB) and like the way it works. Of course that says nothing about rules and the particular system mechanics...

GCACW is a blind spot for me and the gamers around me...never heard it mentioned at all. Had a look at the Atlanta preorder game and looks beautiful (Charlie Kibler again, as with Zucker) and the campaign level is appealing too...  :hmm:
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Hmm, took a closer look at GCACW and Battle Above the Clouds. That is hard to resist, I grant you that.

I have to admit that the fact that it is not a Dean Essig series appeals to me...not saying he does bad games, but I find them all a bit...similar.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on January 18, 2017, 08:27:30 AM
To be honest, it is mostly because of the Gettysburg myth. I like everything around it.  :blush:

No accounting for taste.  :P I'm sure somebody in Europe has a Waterloo hard-on.  :lol:

QuoteI tried Last Chance for Victory, but the Line of Battle system just did not sit right with me, superb game and all, beautiful, exciting components, but not my cup of tea.

Not solo-friendly.

QuoteGCACW is a blind spot for me and the gamers around me...never heard it mentioned at all. Had a look at the Atlanta preorder game and looks beautiful (Charlie Kibler again, as with Zucker) and the campaign level is appealing too...  :hmm:

That's interesting, considering how popular it is and so many titles are out-of-print.  It has a tremendous following, for righteous bluebellies and villainous confederatards alike.

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2017, 08:12:29 PM

No accounting for taste.  :P I'm sure somebody in Europe has a Waterloo hard-on.  :lol:

I declined New Year's Eve invites from friends so I could spend the day all alone at Waterloo instead. :blush:
It was glorious, apart from the cold and a fog so dense I didn't actually see anything.

Delirium

The myth of the vanquished gallant loser appeals to me.  :blush:

Guilty of Waterloo hard-on! Or, I should say, Mont St Jean, as one who thinks the Emperor should have won...

Anyway, I am weak and ordered the one copy of Battle Above the Clouds that I could find at a European retailer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on January 19, 2017, 06:34:33 AM
The myth of the vanquished gallant loser appeals to me.  :blush:

OK, but what's that got to so with the filthy racist ignorant slave-owning niggerhaters and their illegal insurrection?

Tamas

Anyone planning on picking this up:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153728/fields-despair-france-1914-1918

I'd love to pbem it over vassal once there is a module.

Delirium

I am cautiously optimistic, I need to see it played by someone before I go any further than that. Not entirely sure the west front is phenomenally well suited for a fog of war aspect that blocks offer but what the heck, it's WW1, hence underplayed.