News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: bogh on December 07, 2016, 05:06:38 PM
So I received my copy of Triumph & Tragedy recently. I must have signed up for the P500 reprint at some point. Maybe I was drunk, as I cannot remember doing so.

Anyone tried it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130960/triumph-tragedy

No. More interested in Cataclysm.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

bogh

Yeah, that looks interesting as well.

Habbaku

Quote from: bogh on December 07, 2016, 05:06:38 PM
So I received my copy of Triumph & Tragedy recently. I must have signed up for the P500 reprint at some point. Maybe I was drunk, as I cannot remember doing so.

Anyone tried it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130960/triumph-tragedy

I've played it once and don't care for it at all.  It is definitely not a simulation, but doesn't really try to be either.  It's more a WWII-themed Euro.  Some people are really into it, and I think it is well-designed, but...ugh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2016, 05:28:48 PM

I've played it once and don't care for it at all.  It is definitely not a simulation, but doesn't really try to be either.  It's more a WWII-themed Euro.  Some people are really into it, and I think it is well-designed, but...ugh.

Yeah, I suspect it is more my cup of tea than yours. That and the notion of a solid three player game.

Habbaku

I prefer things like Pax Pamir, Pax Porfiriana, Churchill, and Maria for 3-player games, myself.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on December 07, 2016, 06:11:53 PM
I prefer things like Pax Pamir, Pax Porfiriana, Churchill, and Maria for 3-player games, myself.

Cool. Churchill is also on my P500 order (apparently).

frunk

Definitely check out Maria too, probably my favorite game.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Maladict

GMT is finally offering Euro-friendly shipping (P500 only for now).
No more customs pain  :)

Put in an order for Pendragon to celebrate.

Delirium

I have played Triumph and Tragedy a few times. I have good wargaming friends that are completely enfatuated with it, but it leaves me completely cold. Not entirely sure why, nothing against blocks or simple bucket-of-dice games, maybe the three-player set up is too artificial here.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

Pax Renaissance (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198953/pax-renaissance) is Phil Eklund's latest in the Pax series and it's every bit as good as those prior.  Probably even better.  The complexity is ramped up a little more than Pamir/Porfiriana, but I think that allows for more strategy and development over time.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Someone just got added to my Basket of Europlorables.

Disappointing, actually.