And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Hanabi

Carcassonne

Dixit, with the right group and a couple of card expansions, could be good fun.

Following BB, a deck of cards and try to master Bridge in the lunchtime :-P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Hanabi is a good call.  Dixit plays well even with just one set, although after a few plays the extra variety is nice.

I'm assuming he's familiar with Carcassonne, but if not I'd go with Hunters and Gatherers as the Carcassonne to play.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

If you want the newest shiny on the block you could go with Colony.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on December 06, 2016, 02:42:23 PM
I assume you guys have tried 7 Wonders as well?  That's hitting about at your time limit, though.

Yeah, that one is fully "played out" too, although we liked it quite a bit.

Quote from: frunk on December 06, 2016, 02:51:37 PM
Hanabi is a good call.  Dixit plays well even with just one set, although after a few plays the extra variety is nice.

I'm assuming he's familiar with Carcassonne, but if not I'd go with Hunters and Gatherers as the Carcassonne to play.

Played Carcassonne until extenuation. One of my friends owns every single expansion, even the most ridiculous ones, like the one where you aim and fire a wooden catapult  :lol:

Thanks for the other recs, I'll check them out!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on December 06, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
Race for the Galaxy?

Been there.

Other games we played until extenuation are Dominions, Ascension, San Juan.

frunk

Keep an eye out for Jump Drive if you liked RftG.

frunk

If you like cooperatives you might want to give Sentinels of the Multiverse a try as well.

Barrister

Quote from: Pedrito on December 06, 2016, 02:49:10 PM
Following BB, a deck of cards and try to master Bridge in the lunchtime :-P

Okay, so I obviously got the dynamics of celed's group wrong.  I thought he wanted something ultra-casual player over a quick lunch break.  But obviously his group are fairly big gamers.  I'm jealous.

But that being said, Pedrito's suggestion has a lot of merit.  I tried picking up bridge at one point in university.  It's a game where the rules aren't terribly complicated and easy enough to pick up, but the strategy involved can be quite fearsome.  You wouldn't get bored of bridge for a long, long time.  And as for time, since it's just a deck of cards and a scoresheet you can leave it off and pick it up again at any time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Delirium

Quote from: frunk on December 06, 2016, 02:46:15 PM
If you have 6, they play games fast and are feeling ambitious you could also go for Quartermaster General.  It says 90 minutes but 60 or less is very doable.

I want to endorse QG here, excellent game, but 60 minutes is optimistic in my experience. Good fun in any case.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

frunk

Quote from: Delirium on December 07, 2016, 07:25:38 AM
I want to endorse QG here, excellent game, but 60 minutes is optimistic in my experience. Good fun in any case.

I played with a group of mostly newbies and we cranked through in about an hour.  Since we were new to the game we committed to quick play just to see what would happen.  So even with a few rules questions it can be done.

bogh

So I received my copy of Triumph & Tragedy recently. I must have signed up for the P500 reprint at some point. Maybe I was drunk, as I cannot remember doing so.

Anyone tried it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130960/triumph-tragedy