And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 16, 2016, 12:25:30 PM
Cooperative, you say? How does it play with two players, I wonder?

Try to introduce a third player to your gaming group. Maybe a younger inexperienced gamer that needs to be shown the ropes, and hasn't formed any set ideas of what gaming should be like.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 16, 2016, 11:22:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2016, 07:29:00 PM
So that's how it is in the reality of the post-truth, Cubs-championship, Trump-POTUS world, is it.

War of the Ring is hitting the table next week.  :bowler:

Sold out faster than a Trump-pwn3d Congressman.

Delirium

War of the Ring is really good, only objection is that about half the board never sees action.

Anyone played Liberty Roads (Hexasim)?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on November 19, 2016, 05:53:12 PM

Anyone played Liberty Roads (Hexasim)?

Yes, it's on my table now. Very enjoyable, elegant desugn, beautiful map.
Not a game to complete in a single day though, unless you play the shorter scenarios.
I got the Roundhammer expansion too but haven't tried it yet.

Delirium

Interesting, heard mostly good things about it, seems to fill a certain demand, I can't think of a game that portrays the whole of France like that...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on November 20, 2016, 01:13:15 PM
Interesting, heard mostly good things about it, seems to fill a certain demand, I can't think of a game that portrays the whole of France like that...

Yes, and it allows for landings in all of France and the low countries, so replay value will not be an issue.

11B4V

They also have one covering the eastern front
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

Victory Roads, yes. How is that?

Delirium

Just thinking out  loud, my latest plays/acquisitions have all been centered on the late war Western front: Enemy Action: Ardennes; Ardennes 44; Hurtgen: Hell's Forest; Normandy 44...and now I pulled the trigger on Liberty Roads. My other preferred settings now are Napoleonic (1813-1815) and the 1740's...

Maladict

Hexasim's Napoleon Against Europe is supposed to be pretty good. And then there's Imperial Struggle, of course, if you're into CDG.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

Star Trek: Ascendancy came up a while ago, has anyone actually tried it?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien