I see a great hand, reaching out of the stars...

Started by grumbler, April 14, 2009, 08:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

FunkMonk

I saw this at work and immediately thought of Languish.  :hug:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

vinraith

A bit more detail than CNN provides, from the inimitable Phil Plait.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

A few days ago I saw a modified picture of the "marines raising the US flag on Iwo Jima".  The author replaced the US flag with the dollar sign. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 08:29:09 PM
That's what my mother in law will say, ayup.

My first thought it was the market's invisible hand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2009, 11:03:32 PMMy first thought it was the market's invisible hand.

A concept like "the market" is meaningless to her.  This is the woman who insisted that Princesca do her taxes for he because "she's afraid she'll mess up", even though she could use the 1040EZ form with no problem.  In addition, she somehow didn't file for an extension correctly last year.  :huh:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Drakken

Caliga

Quote from: Drakken on April 15, 2009, 11:07:41 AM
Pareidola FTW!  :w00t:

There is no pareidola.  There is only the Virgin Mary on EVERYTHING. :mad:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grallon

Isildur's hand, trying to put on Sauron's Ring.

-----

The article mentioned by Vin said this was a Nasa colored picture.  Does that mean the actual image recorded by the telescope has been modified ?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel