News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Underground restaurants

Started by Gups, April 20, 2011, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/may/31/saltoun-supper-club-brixton

Anyone been to an underground restauraunt. I know the trend/fad started in NYC and spread to London but wondered how widespread it was.

I'm going to this one tonight (been there before). So much better than a normal restauraunt - the food is about 50% of the price you'd pay for similar quality, you have to bring your own wine so you can get a £20 bottle and not pay £50, there's a smoking room and it's all very chilled out.

MadImmortalMan

No but it sounds cool. I think the practice started as a way for chefs to serve things that posed...regulatory issues.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Sounds great - but no, never heard of such a thing here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Some exist in Montréal. I've never been to one. They sometimes double as art galleries.

In Paris, you get confidential restaurants: no publicity, no outside signs, no reservations, yet everything legal. I have been to one, very good, somewhat cheaper, amazing wine carte - but I do think the thrill of the shared secret is mostly what, for some, adds to the experience.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Sounds cool, never heard of them.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Wasn't Mono telling us that these things are all over Hong Kong in some earlier thread?

I once heard of an underground restaurant in Milwaukee, and Princesca and I were going to visit it when we went to Milwaukee in 2000, but we never got around to it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Isn't Milwaukee an Indian name?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

Yes, Pete, it is.  In fact, it's pronounced "mill-eee-wah-kay" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 20, 2011, 01:00:24 PM
Yes, Pete, it is.  In fact, it's pronounced "mill-eee-wah-kay" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
:smoke:

I also wanted to visit Jeffrey Dahmer's house, but didn't have time for that either.  Cal = BUSY GUY.

Jacob

We got a few in Vancouver; an acquaintance of mine runs one in fact.

I've read about them in Hong Kong and Tokyo as well.

Never gone to one though.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2011, 01:03:48 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 20, 2011, 01:00:24 PM
:smoke:

I also wanted to visit Jeffrey Dahmer's house, but didn't have time for that either.  Cal = BUSY GUY.

If there was a "secret restaurant" in Jeffrey Dahmer's house ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2011, 02:07:56 PM
If there was a "secret restaurant" in Jeffrey Dahmer's house ...  :hmm:
:lmfao:

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2011, 11:57:23 AM

I once heard of an underground restaurant in Milwaukee, and Princesca and I were going to visit it when we went to Milwaukee in 2000, but we never got around to it.

Milwaukee had gas stations?

Caliga