News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Presidents of a feather stick together

Started by Slargos, April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 18, 2011, 10:25:56 AM
From what I know, all my ancestors were normal subjects of various German regions, no nobility or even royality among them. Most of them were unsurprisingly farmers, but there are some city dwellers that worked as craftsmen, musicians, civil servants etc.

Considering the sheet number of petty nobles in Germany that surprises me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza2

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 10:30:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on April 18, 2011, 10:25:56 AM
From what I know, all my ancestors were normal subjects of various German regions, no nobility or even royality among them. Most of them were unsurprisingly farmers, but there are some city dwellers that worked as craftsmen, musicians, civil servants etc.

Considering the sheet number of petty nobles in Germany that surprises me.
As far as I know, they were never more than 1% of the population. And while they probably had quite a few bastards from mistresses, I don't know about any among my ancestors. That's not saying there weren't any of course.

I guess the higher nobility, which is what Germany is famous for, mostly intermarried among themselves, e.g. every single German king or emperor from Charlemagne to Wilhelm II is related to each other - at least by marriage, often by blood.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Slargos on April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM
Doesn't it put the whole notion of democracy in a rather poor light?
No.  The number of political dynasties in the US does.  The world's greatest democracy is about half as full of nepotism as the world's biggest.  That's not a good thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2011, 02:09:15 PM
No.  The number of political dynasties in the US does.  The world's greatest democracy is about half as full of nepotism as the world's biggest.  That's not a good thing.

Name recognition and connections are important in politics, particularly in our system.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2011, 02:09:15 PM

It's one of the prices we pay for picking our own office holders, instead of letting a party tell us who to vote for.

I wonder what India's excuse is though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2011, 02:20:23 PM
It's one of the prices we pay for picking our own office holders, instead of letting a party tell us who to vote for.
We pick our own office holders :mellow:

QuoteI wonder what India's excuse is though.
Samer reasons but more I imagine.  Name recognition, a family political machine, intense connection to a local area.  The same happens in Ireland actually.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2011, 02:31:33 PM

Yeah but all your leaders are picked in local constituencies.  Ours, at least our Head of State and Government, is picked on a national level.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2011, 02:31:33 PM

Maybe I've got it wrong.  I thought the local committee of the Angry Lesbians Party decides who is going to be the Angry Lesbians Party candidate for that shire.  No?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 02:36:35 PM
Yeah but all your leaders are picked in local constituencies.  Ours, at least our Head of State and Government, is picked on a national level.
True, but your dynasties aren't limited to the Presidency.  I find the Kennedys, Udalls, Cuomos, Daleys, Rockefellers, Murkowski's, Bayhs, Gores (those are all recent too) and all the rest just very peculiar.  It's nowhere near as extreme as the Nehru-Gandhis or the Lok Sabha, but it is weird.

QuoteMaybe I've got it wrong.  I thought the local committee of the Angry Lesbians Party decides who is going to be the Angry Lesbians Party candidate for that shire.  No?
Generally the local party picks the candidate, though the Tories have experimented with open primaries.  But that's hardly the same as, say, Israel or the Netherlands where the party actually does effectively pick who wins.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I think it has more to do with inherited wealth, then anything else.  Politics is often a rich man's game.  Most of those who get high up in politics start off fairly wealthy, and very few who are elected to high office end up poor.  The only presidents who died poor that I can think of was Monroe and Grant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2011, 02:44:41 PM
True, but your dynasties aren't limited to the Presidency.  I find the Kennedys, Udalls, Cuomos, Daleys, Rockefellers, Murkowski's, Bayhs, Gores (those are all recent too) and all the rest just very peculiar.  It's nowhere near as extreme as the Nehru-Gandhis or the Lok Sabha, but it is weird.

I am a bit surprised this does not happen in other countries frankly.  Somebody raised in a political family who knows whats what and so forth has a big advantage in so many ways.  Why is it peculiar they would pop up from time to time?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 02:54:04 PM
I think it has more to do with inherited wealth, then anything else.  Politics is often a rich man's game.  Most of those who get high up in politics start off fairly wealthy, and very few who are elected to high office end up poor.  The only presidents who died poor that I can think of was Monroe and Grant.

Even if you are not wealthy then you have to get people to give you money...which is alot easier if you already have connections.

Norgy

There's too much reasoned debate and not nearly enough conspiracy theory in this thread!  :mad:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2011, 02:55:29 PMI am a bit surprised this does not happen in other countries frankly.  Somebody raised in a political family who knows whats what and so forth has a big advantage in so many ways.  Why is it peculiar they would pop up from time to time?
Well it's not time to time.  You add in the Bushes and, arguably the Clintons, and all of those families have had someone in relatively high office in the last 20 years.  If you look at the Presidency I think 2008's the first election since the 70s without a Bush, Clinton or Dole somewhere on the ticket; and even then we almost had a Clinton.

I mean obviously we have a monarchy and some hereditary peers so there's no judgement.  But the democratic part of our system doesn't have many dynasties.  I can think of the Churchills and the Benns, arguably Morrison-Mandelson - but you could be right it could be something unusual about our system that we don't have these families.  Off the top of my head I know the Greeks, Indians, Irish, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Japanese have them too.  I don't know about other countries.
Let's bomb Russia!