News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Presidents of a feather stick together

Started by Slargos, April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2011, 11:21:03 PM
I suspect if there were records that go back far enough, you'd find people in the US descended from Pharaohs, Emperors of China, and German Robber Barons.  All in the same person.  It's not hard to imagine some white American has Chinese ancestors from 1500 years back.

True but we are not talking about thousands of years we are talking about just a few hundred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

It's funny how all Americans have royal genes. Still no Merovecs or tracing their bloodlines to Caesar? Don't worry, you can probably buy a certificate online.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on April 18, 2011, 04:29:57 AM
It's funny how all Americans have royal genes. Still no Merovecs or tracing their bloodlines to Caesar? Don't worry, you can probably buy a certificate online.

I don't.  And if I did I would go back in time and chop their heads off.....which would cause a time paradox which would destroy history.

But seriously where does this shit come from?  George Washington came from an aristocratic inbred English family so of course he was pedigreed.  It was one of the reasons he was made commander of the army in the first place.  I have never heard anybody claim they are royalty before in my life and genealogy is one of my hobbies  :huh:  It is just a fun way to explore history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

:yes: Even if I could prove royal ancestry... so what?  It doesn't entitle me to anything.  It's just an interesting bit of trivia.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also worth mentioning: IIRC the only peer who actually bothered to live on his New World estates was Lord Fairfax (hence why so much crap is named for him in northern Virginia).

Valmy

Actually now that I think about it there is one exception to this so maybe this is what Norgy was talking about.  One of the families my wife is decended from comes from an illiterate German indentured servant in the 18th Century named Hans Funderburk.  He went on to be glorious among the Lettowists and had lots of slaves and land and all the sort of shit that indicated you made it big in the bad old South.  Now an illiterate immigrant creating a line of Southern Planters is kind of unusual.    But for some hilarious reason there is this story floating around that he was a scion of the Wittelsbach dynasty and an ancient Ducal family that died out in the 12th century.  There is exactly zero evidence to support this idea but there has even been a book written about this nutty story and plenty of his descendents believe it...mostly because they have never really looked into it.  The story was so stupid it reminded me of the lampooning of Southern pretensions to Aristocracy by Mark Twain in 'Huckleberry Finn'.

But to be fair almost every member of that family who cares enough to think a bit about it laughs it off as ridiculous.

Viking

All true republicans (republican as in anti-monarchism, not anti-sanity) have royal ancestry. I can trace to every norwegian king before Harald HardrĂ¥de, plus a few danish ones.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2011, 08:32:04 AM
All true republicans (republican as in anti-monarchism, not anti-sanity) have royal ancestry. I can trace to every norwegian king before Harald HardrĂ¥de, plus a few danish ones.

Citizen Bernadotte even had royal descendants <_<

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 18, 2011, 08:14:52 AM
Also worth mentioning: IIRC the only peer who actually bothered to live on his New World estates was Lord Fairfax (hence why so much crap is named for him in northern Virginia).

Also the Fairfaxes were good buddies with George Washington.  They were neighbors IIRC.  That is probably a bigger reason why so much stuff got named for them.

grumbler

It's funny how all Americans have royal genes.

Its funny how all Norwegians have "royal genes" as well.  And all other people.

Actually, now that i think about it, this isn't so much "funny" as it is "trite."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Traitors often long for the things they gave up forever.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 08:46:04 AM

Its funny how all Norwegians have "royal genes" as well.  And all other people.

You know what I meant, sir. "Claim royal ancestry". I apologise for my incorrect and sloppy use of words and my unfair and highly biased generalisation. I also look forward to more petulance and corrections in the future. Thank you!

On a different note:

Genealogy is fun, and I can trace parts of my mother's side back to the 16th century. But the thing is, church records burn just as easily as, well, churches and towns, and since those records are the basis of geneaology for the non-royal/aristocrat, I suppose tracing bloodlines stops at some point and fiction begins.

I am proud of my 50 % of pure inbred peasant blood and my 50 % of unknown, quite possibly travelling acrobat, blood!  :mad:

Caliga

Nearly all of my ancestral lines go quiet once they get back to Europe or maybe one generation prior to that.  I suspect the reason is related to church records being destroyed, yes.  For example, my direct paternal line originates from Bad Kreuznach in the Rhineland-Palatinate, and the French decided to completely destroy the town in like 1698 or something as my ancestors were fleeing it.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 18, 2011, 09:36:32 AM
For example, my direct paternal line originates from Bad Kreuznach in the Rhineland-Palatinate, and the French decided to completely destroy the town in like 1698 or something as my ancestors were fleeing it.

Served those Lutheran scum right :P

Zanza2

From what I know, all my ancestors were normal subjects of various German regions, no nobility or even royality among them. Most of them were unsurprisingly farmers, but there are some city dwellers that worked as craftsmen, musicians, civil servants etc.