7 (33.3%)
AV
11 (52.4%)
No vote/spoiled vote
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2011, 04:31:23 PM
I think you are being optimistic about the paucity of support for the BNP; though I do agree that a minor change to AV will probably not enable them to win a seat.
I think they'd possibly be able to come first in a few small seats but there's no way they'd be able to get 50%+1 of a constituency.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

We should bear in mind that the form of PR used in the elections to the European parliament resulted in 2 BNP MEPs being returned.

Josquius

People vote different in Europe to in UK elections. Some think the racist/europhobe parties represent their views on Europe best if not their general views on running the country. Others just plain like to troll Brussels.

The BNP and AV...
Well with FPTP I think they would do better. Have a three way scrap for the rational vote, a bunch of other minor parties and a low turn out and they sneak through with 15% of the constituency voting for them.
With AV though...I'd see the sane voters banding together and picking their mainstream rival over the BNP. The most I could ever see the BNP managing is perhaps one seat after a riot in Bradford or somewhere like that. Its a long shot though.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
We should bear in mind that the form of PR used in the elections to the European parliament resulted in 2 BNP MEPs being returned.
But that's totally different from AV where you need 50%+1 in any constituency to get representation.  I think UKIP and the Greens will get that in a few seats, but I just can't see the BNP ever managing that in a general election. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It does seem unlikely...............but.........a shame there are no elderly Germans on the forum, they could perhaps tell us how unlikely a Nazi victory seemed back in 1930. We are a complacent nation, that is a good thing in many ways, but I'm rather concerned that political extremism may be closer than we think.

Slargos

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2011, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2011, 04:37:20 PM
But that's totally different from AV where you need 50%+1 in any constituency to get representation.  I think UKIP and the Greens will get that in a few seats, but I just can't see the BNP ever managing that in a general election.

You should be so lucky.

It's the only way you're going to survive as a nation.

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on April 16, 2011, 04:23:35 PM
My first preference vote will be Yes to AV, and my second preference will be for No.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I would have a lot more sympathy for AV if it wasn't a bald-faced attempt to create a one-party state in the UK.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

What effect do you think a system like this would have in Canada?

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2011, 10:42:41 AM
I would have a lot more sympathy for AV if it wasn't a bald-faced attempt to create a one-party state in the UK.

:unsure:
Which one party would this be?
Most critics say the opposite, that it would destroy any chance of a strong government and make coalitions far more normal. Which of course is ignoring history, hung parliaments aren't too rare at all in the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2011, 03:17:55 PM
Other: Outlaw all political parties and vote for individuals.  :P

Err, it's still a vote for individuals.