News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Presidents of a feather stick together

Started by Slargos, April 17, 2011, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on April 18, 2011, 11:04:33 PM
They were close but I don't think that is why they had stuff named after them.  I think George William Fairfax and his wife Sally had Loyalist leanings; they went to London just before the Revolution broke out and never returned to America. I could be wrong on that, the move to London may gave been unrelated to the political situation.

Thomas Fairfax, as Cal noted, stayed behind and was the closest neighbor to Washington.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I seem to recall that the Fairfaxes remained in America for several generations and somehow were able to retain their titles and peer status :blink:... but I think the American branch of the family eventually died out.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2011, 01:01:53 PM
I seem to recall that the Fairfaxes remained in America for several generations and somehow were able to retain their titles and peer status :blink:... but I think the American branch of the family eventually died out.

Hehe the family sort of forgot about the title and it was not until 1908 that Albert Fairfax claimed it and went back to Scotland and served in the House Lords and the familly remains back in Britain.  But there was about 100 years where there was no Lord Fairfax because the family was too busy Americaning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 09:50:09 PMI don't know exactly how the UK is governed at a local level.  What is your equivalent of a State Governor?  Do you even have one?
No equivalent.  We have council leaders but they're not directly elected.  The closest are directly elected Mayors, but they're pretty rare.

QuoteAnyway, there seems to some dynasties in your House of Lords.
As I say there's no judgement, we have a monarchy and some hereditary peers.  It's just striking because it isn't a massive feature of the democratic part of our system.  I can think of a few UK examples but nowhere near as many.
Let's bomb Russia!