Teens Now Look Favorably On Torture Because Media Teaches Its Morally Acceptable

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2011, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

QuoteFrom the early 1930's until the modern story broke in 2004, the newspapers that covered waterboarding almost uniformly called the practice torture or implied it was torture: The New York Times characterized it thus in 81.5% (44 of 54) of articles on the subject and The Los Angeles Times did so in 96.3% of articles (26 of 27). By contrast, from 2002-2008, the studied newspapers almost never referred to waterboarding as torture. The New York Times called waterboarding torture or implied it was torture in just 2 of 143 articles (1.4%). The Los Angeles Times did so in 4.8% of articles (3 of 63). The Wall Street Journal characterized the practice as torture in just 1 of 63 articles (1.6%). USA Today never called waterboarding torture or implied it was torture.

This is instructive in that it shows how quickly the media will pick up a meme and run with it. Not that Americans love teh torture.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Slargos

Quote from: Zeus on April 15, 2011, 11:31:10 AM
Torture does have its uses. For one, I should expect that we (Americans) start torturing criminals to find and stop drug dealers, crime lords, etc. Not extreme torturing, of course, but a little poke and prod here and there.

Perhaps a system could be put in place wherein a particular criminal could get off with a lighter sentence for naming 10 of his known associates.

Work camps could be instituted in Alaska in order to pay for the system rather than building expensive prisons. The income from the camps could be used to hire a system of informants nation-wide in order to help boost employment and keep dissent from being such an easy option.

I like this, your idea.

Martinus

Torture does have its uses. For one, I should expect that we (Americans) start torturing criminals to find and stop drug dealers, crime lords, etc. Not extreme torturing, of course, but a little poke and prod here and there.

You are a fucking retard. Please die. How old are you, 12?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 01:45:45 AM

You are a fucking retard. Please die
. How old are you, 12?
:hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 17, 2011, 01:46:46 AM

. How old are you, 12?

What? Did you realize he's your soul mate? 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 01:49:00 AM

. How old are you, 12?

Nope, it's just funny that you asked if he was 12 since saying to someone "You are a fucking retard. Please die" is something a 12 year old would say.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 17, 2011, 07:29:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 01:49:00 AM

. How old are you, 12?

Nope, it's just funny that you asked if he was 12 since saying to someone "You are a fucking retard. Please die" is something a 12 year old would say.

:face:

Martinus

Don't compute. I can't think someone is a retard and they should die? If wishing dead on someone was a quality of 12 y.o., does it mean Hitler was 12 y.o.?

Zeus

And you're a shortminded prick. Point?
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Slargos

Quote from: Zeus on April 17, 2011, 09:56:00 AM

And you're a shortminded prick. Point?

Well, he got your there, Marty.

Lettow77

I'm extremely against torture or physical coercion in our criminal justice system. We need more humane treatment of prisoners, not less.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Zeus

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 17, 2011, 10:39:54 AM
I'm extremely against torture or physical coercion in our criminal justice system. We need more humane treatment of prisoners, not less.

And your kind of mentality is why we don't catch half as many criminals as we should.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Slargos

Quote from: Zeus on April 17, 2011, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 17, 2011, 10:39:54 AM

And your kind of mentality is why we don't catch half as many criminals as we should.

And your kind of mentality is why you don't have half as many criminals as you should.  :hmm: