Teens Now Look Favorably On Torture Because Media Teaches Its Morally Acceptable

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2011, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2011, 01:25:16 AM
They were contraband by union admission. Contraband, once seized, can be put to whatever use is deemed expedient. They were traitors who drew their hands against their communities and country, and property to boot.

Had it coming.

It's fortunate that the Federal government didn't see things the same way, otherwise the road from Atlanta to Savannah would be lined with graves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 04:24:09 AM
:lol:  I'm not the one with the motorcycle, meat bag.  When you become someone's hood ornament, think of me when you're driving your wheelchair with a straw and your colostomy bag backs up.  :nelson:
This.  Thread.  Delivers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 04:24:09 AM
:lol:  I'm not the one with the motorcycle, meat bag.  When you become someone's hood ornament, think of me when you're driving your wheelchair with a straw and your colostomy bag backs up.  :nelson:
This.  Thread.  Delivers.

It gets better :D

dps

Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 04:18:03 AM
When you die, surrounded by dusty wargame boxes, your cats will feast on your flesh and I will laugh. Oh how I will laugh.

Then I will toss them in a bag and into the river they go.

I hope you mean the cats, not the wargames.   :mad:

Quote from: RazgovoryIt's fortunate that the Federal government didn't see things the same way, otherwise the road from Atlanta to Savannah would be lined with graves.

Don't you mean unfortunate?

Slargos

Quote from: dps on April 18, 2011, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 04:18:03 AM
When you die, surrounded by dusty wargame boxes, your cats will feast on your flesh and I will laugh. Oh how I will laugh.

Then I will toss them in a bag and into the river they go.

I hope you mean the cats, not the wargames.   :mad:

Of course. The cats, having feasted on such dessicated and putrid flesh (nevermind after it's started decaying), are beyond salvation and must be destroyed.

However, since the majority the games will still be in their wrapping it means they've been sheltered from the rot and are probably in pristine condition.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2011, 10:18:48 PM
Hey, some of those Germans came back from the Soviet Union.  A handful, in the 1950's.
:rolleyes: Given the choice, I'd much prefer to be a German POW in a Soviet camp than a Soviet POW in a German camp.  My odds of surviving would be many times higher.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2011, 04:25:47 PM
Hey, some of those Germans came back from the Soviet Union.  A handful, in the 1950's.
:rolleyes: Given the choice, I'd much prefer to be a German POW in a Soviet camp than a Soviet POW in a German camp.  My odds of surviving would be many times higher.

Nevermind that in the latter scenario you would be Russian.

Who wants to live with that?

Razgovory

Well, the German POWs that did get back weren't put in camps in Germany when they got home, so you may have something there.  Though many of them had to live in East Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 04:38:41 PM

Nevermind that in the latter scenario you would be Russian.

Who wants to live with that?

Well, the Russians did win the war.

Eddie Teach

I think I'd have deserted before facing this choice. So probably end up dead anyway, but eh...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:06:29 AM

It's fortunate that the Federal government didn't see things the same way, otherwise the road from Atlanta to Savannah would be lined with graves.

I might actually prefer this. Reconciliation would never have occurred in this scenario- the South would cease to exist or become an independent nation in the long run.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 18, 2011, 04:48:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2011, 11:06:29 AM

I might actually prefer this. Reconciliation would never have occurred in this scenario- the South would cease to exist or become an independent nation in the long run.

Probably not, it honestly wouldn't have made much of a difference, except to those who were killed.  Most Southerners came to believe that something like this actually occurred, had it actually occurred it's not likely they would have been able to get any more upset about it.

Lettow77

We disagree on this. The soft terms of 1865 and the efforts of the Confederate generals toward reconciliation were crucial to the South's laying down arms and accepting the military realities. It could have become an unhappy, generational conflict, with ethnic violence and periodic general uprisings.

As it is, violence probably would have sparked again eventually, except the Southern elites got back into power as the north tired of reconstruction. This would not occur in a world where those associated with the rebellion were shown no quarter.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'