News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Online Dating ?

Started by jamesww, April 14, 2011, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Btw, out of curiosity, how advanced/sophisticated are profiles on straight dating sites? For example, the entries on a fairly advanced gay dating sites (and it's not just a sex site, but also relationship/etc.) includes these categories (taken from the most popular European site):

City
Area
Country
Language   Polish, English
Stats   
Body & Ethnics   
Hair   
Body Hair   
Eyes
Piercings
Tattoos
Smoker
Sex
Relationship   
Looking for   Friends/Date/Sex/Relationship
(Ages)
Profession
Religion
Food   
Music   
Sport   
Travel   
Night life   
Interests   
Personality:
Home boy          Party Animal
Pedantic      Chaotic
Planned      Spontaneous
Shy      Forward
Dicksize   
Cut/Uncut
Position   
Fucking
Fisting   
Safer Sex   
S&M   
Dirty   
Fetish   
Write something about you
Webcam   Yes
Messenger

We like to be specific as you can see.  :lol:

Faeelin

Eh, it depends. I met someone I dated for college for two years on it, and I have a friend who met his current gf of a year and change on okcupid.

szmik

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2011, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 14, 2011, 03:15:59 PM
I haven't used it in years, but during the couple years when I was using it, I probably ended up meeting like 30-40 girls.

The biggest problem was finding out whether you actually would have any chemistry in real life and not just in emails.  Most dates ended up sucking, and not in the good way.

Mostly it is just a way to combat boredom and get off your ass and do shit during lean times.

Yes.  Do not waste time having an e-relationship.  You want to say hi and meet IRL ASAP if you are interested.  But yeah mostly that last part though it just so happens I met my wife online.

Here's a watershed moment (sits back in rocking chair, puffs pipe): I remember a time, and not so long ago, when people would have been amazed by that; and then I remember a time, shortly after, when they would be ashamed to admit that.

Now, it is simply and boringly normal and unremarkable in any way.
I first met my wife online too and people are still amazed.

But I live in Polish hell.  :(
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Josquius

Average as fat: I've never observed this. hmm....wonder what I'd put instead, I'm sure not athletic.

QuoteHere's a watershed moment (sits back in rocking chair, puffs pipe): I remember a time, and not so long ago, when people would have been amazed by that; and then I remember a time, shortly after, when they would be ashamed to admit that.

Now, it is simply and boringly normal and unremarkable in any way.
True.
But then thats the same with any relationships on the internet really. 15 years ago admitting to spending your nights chatting to people on the internet would ring all sorts of strange and dodgy bells.

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2011, 03:53:03 PM
Btw, out of curiosity, how advanced/sophisticated are profiles on straight dating sites? For example, the entries on a fairly advanced gay dating sites (and it's not just a sex site, but also relationship/etc.) includes these categories (taken from the most popular European site):

Asking men their dicksize...yeah...I'm sure that works well.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

A guy at work met his girlfriend on eharmony.com.  They're moving in together next month.  General consensus from those around me is that match.com has devolved over time to adultfriendfinder.com without the fetish subcategories.  Total hook-up site.

I refuse to engage in any form of online dating, as it is a proven scientific fact that women online are only looking for 5'10" or taller.

That's what totally sucks about being 40; you're too old for the young ones, and too young for the old ones.  It is: a dead zone.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2011, 05:21:35 PM

I never actually bothered to measure. That question would certainly catch me off-guard if I were signing up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

There really isn't much incentive to lie too egregiously. If you say you're 9 inches and show up at his door with a piddling 4, you're liking going to be bounced out rather quick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

So, uh...in what state are you expected to measure it?

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2011, 05:33:13 PM

Is this a trick question? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2011, 05:32:14 PM

There really isn't much incentive to lie too egregiously. If you say you're 9 inches and show up at his door with a piddling 4, you aren't going to get invited in.

Yeah, whereas if you are a 4-inch dick size, racoon furry fetishist power bottom who enjoys eating green tomatoes and going to death metal concerts and say it in your profil - there is a chance you will find someone who is into it.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2011, 05:33:43 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2011, 05:33:13 PM

Is this a trick question? :unsure:

Nope. Semi truck or Optimus Prime?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2011, 05:29:54 PM
A guy at work met his girlfriend on eharmony.com.  They're moving in together next month.  General consensus from those around me is that match.com has devolved over time to adultfriendfinder.com without the fetish subcategories.  Total hook-up site.

I refuse to engage in any form of online dating, as it is a proven scientific fact that women online are only looking for 5'10" or taller.

That's what totally sucks about being 40; you're too old for the young ones, and too young for the old ones.  It is: a dead zone.

:huh:

You're perfect the perfect age for all kinds of milfy divorcees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2011, 03:53:03 PM

City
Area
Country
Language   Polish, English
Stats   
Body & Ethnics   
Hair   
Body Hair   
Eyes
Piercings
Tattoos
Smoker
Sex
Relationship   
Looking for   Friends/Date/Sex/Relationship
(Ages)
Profession
Religion
Food   
Music   
Sport   
Travel   
Night life   
Interests   
Personality:
Home boy          Party Animal
Pedantic      Chaotic
Planned      Spontaneous
Shy      Forward
Dicksize   
Cut/Uncut
Position   
Fucking
Fisting   
Safer Sex   
S&M   
Dirty   
Fetish   
Write something about you
Webcam   Yes
Messenger

Everything but the more specifically gay stuff.  Some have fields for dick size et al, some don't.  The more (presumably?) relationship-oriented ones don't seem to.  (I forgot, I also have an adultfriendfinder account, but I'm pretty positive that shit's not worth it, if not an outright scam--what is the likelihood of someone there worth fucking that I couldn't just pull off the street?)

Does shy/forward mean the same thing in the homosphere, or is it like dirty?

And safer sex?

Quote from: CdMThat's what totally sucks about being 40; you're too old for the young ones, and too young for the old ones.  It is: a dead zone.

That's what lying is for.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2011, 05:29:54 PM

Most hot women are short. And there's more short than tall women to begin with. Doubt its that much of a drawback.
██████
██████
██████