News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why do characters on tv...

Started by garbon, April 13, 2011, 10:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

What winds me up is no-one ever says goodbye when they end a phone call on TV or in movies. Never.

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2011, 04:02:27 AM
What winds me up is no-one ever says goodbye when they end a phone call on TV or in movies. Never.

They do.

When they're about to do something they are pretty sure will kill them. I lends it an ominous tone.

Also as part of a game of "no, you hang up"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on April 14, 2011, 04:12:01 AMAlso as part of a game of "no, you hang up"

I always win that one.

Josquius

Cameras add 20 pounds and subtract 20 iq points
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I've never heard a real gun shot. :unsure:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2011, 01:18:24 AM
I loved "Homicide" but I've never felt like watching "The Wire."

You should, it's great.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 10:36:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:16:05 PM
always run to see what happened when they here a gunshot? :huh:
in tv shows, every one has a gun, where as in reality, 25% of the US population owns 200% of the guns ;)

I'm not sure if this is a troll, a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt at a joke, or what (given the wink smilie, I'm guessing an attempt at a joke), but gun ownership is probably more along the lines of 50% rather than 25%.  Actually, I suspect that it's a bit higher than 50%, probably closer to 60%.

ulmont

Quote from: dps on April 14, 2011, 12:07:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 10:36:40 PM
in tv shows, every one has a gun, where as in reality, 25% of the US population owns 200% of the guns ;)

I'm not sure if this is a troll, a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt at a joke, or what (given the wink smilie, I'm guessing an attempt at a joke), but gun ownership is probably more along the lines of 50% rather than 25%.  Actually, I suspect that it's a bit higher than 50%, probably closer to 60%.

No. 

Quotedata from the 1994 telephone survey (National Survey of Private Ownership of Firearms—NSPOF) indicate
that just 35 percent (plus or minus 1.3 percent) of households own guns.
http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

Quote39 Percentage of Americans reporting a gun in their home
http://reason.com/archives/2001/05/01/gun-ownership-the-numbers

Quote25 percent of all adults, and 40 percent of American households, own at least one firearm.
http://www.ojjdp.gov/pubs/gun_violence/sect01.html

dps

40% is closer to 50% than it is to 25%, but I'm guessing that there is some under-reporting of gun ownership.  Not so much for criminal reasons, but I figure that there are households where someone owns a gun that they're not telling the rest of the household about, and others where they have granddad's old hunting rifle up in the attic somewhere, but forget about it when someone asks if they have a firearm in the house.

ulmont

Quote from: dps on April 14, 2011, 12:59:44 PM
40% is closer to 50% than it is to 25%

But is not "a bit higher than 50%, probably closer to 60%."  Also note that the only source which went down to "adults" rather than "households" found only 25% of adults reporting as gun owners.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:27:12 PM
That's because the only black people on Law & Order are the cops.  Talk about fiction writing.

:huh:

Law & Order loves to explore the lives of black people in fictional places with whimsical names like Harlem, The Bronx and Queens.

Must be a Dutch writer on the show . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson