News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why do characters on tv...

Started by garbon, April 13, 2011, 10:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

always run to see what happened when they here a gunshot? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:17:28 PM
The black ones don't.

False. I've seen more than enough black people on Law & Order run towards gunshots.  I pegged it as unrealistic. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:17:28 PM
The black ones don't.

False. I've seen more than enough black people on Law & Order run towards gunshots.  I pegged it as unrealistic. -_-

That's because the only black people on Law & Order are the cops.  Talk about fiction writing.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:27:12 PM
That's because the only black people on Law & Order are the cops.  Talk about fiction writing.

:huh:

Law & Order loves to explore the lives of black people in fictional places with whimsical names like Harlem, The Bronx and Queens. An often repeated scene is some black minister declaring how the cops would be trying harder if it was a dead white kid/woman.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:27:12 PM

:huh:

Law & Order loves to explore the lives of black people in fictional places with whimsical names like Harlem, The Bronx and Queens. An often repeated scene is some black minister declaring how the cops would be trying harder if it was a dead white kid/woman.

I dunno, I often lose that track of that stuff to Munch's ocassional anti-Republican pot shots.  But I do so love that Ice T.  So glad he's got work. :wub:

And yes, this just in: cops will always work harder for dead white kids/women.  It's just the way it is.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:16:05 PM
in tv shows, every one has a gun, where as in reality, 25% of the US population owns 200% of the guns ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:36:13 PM
I dunno, I often lose that track of that stuff to Munch's ocassional anti-Republican pot shots.  But I do so love that Ice T.  So glad he's got work. :wub:

Were you a fan of Homicide: Life On The Street? :x

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:49:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 10:36:13 PM

Were you a fan of Homicide: Life On The Street? :x

:ph34r:

Strix

In Rochester they don't do anything when they hear gunshots. It's normal everyday sounds to them.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 10:16:05 PM

Usually the characters in that situation are cops, soldiers or adventurers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

I loved "Homicide" but I've never felt like watching "The Wire." 

In Philadelphia, I never went running towards gunshots, which were infrequent in my neighborhood, but all the time in West Phillly.

But when those flashing lights would show up on my block, I'd hid behind the curtains and watch.  One time they were coming for my next door neighbor.  I happened to be up and sipping heavily on vermouth when the middle brother went crazy... hearing through the walls, I think it had to do with milk expiration dates... next thing the two other brothers were restraining him against the fence to the alley, while he howled like a loon... and I wandered out to my concrete back lot and asked "Is everything alright here?"  One brother said "No!  Call the cops!"  I debated this for a little while, but the cops were there soon enough.  By then, all my roommates had been woken up from the screaming and lights, and we laid low.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Actually, I always went out on the balcony whenever there gunshots from the now-defunct dance club across the street.  At least I did, till I got indirectly maced from fifty feet away.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)