And we're back!

Main Menu

Victory for feminism - The wage gap is closed

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 12, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
Here's a trick.  Put a picture of kids on your desk in the office where you conduct the interview.  If you have kids, put a picture of them on the desk.  If not, find a picture on google of some cute little guy posing with his little league baseball bat or standing atop a soccer ball in a pee wee uniform.

Since most people think it's a good idea to establish some sort of personal connection with an interviewer, alot of them will be like "Wow your son looks just like my little Tyler!  Does he have a peanut allergy and freebase Ritalin like Tyler, too?"

At that point I'd continue the interview out of courtesy but they will have already eliminated themselves as a candidate. :)

Wow you HR people really are evil.

I always knew that but I had no idea that any of them were also competent.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 10:02:06 AM
I.  am.  not.  in.  HR.

I recruited for IT positions for two years, but came at it from am IT perspective, not an HR one.  The entire rest of my career has been in IT (including now).

Damn dude I was kidding around with you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM
Wow you HR people really are evil.
:frusty:

I.  am.  not.  in.  HR.

I recruited for IT positions for two years, but came at it from am IT perspective, not an HR one.  The entire rest of my career has been in IT (including now).

I retract my previous comment.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 10:03:19 AM
Oh, ok.  For some reason alot of people around here seem to think I'm an HR drone. :unsure:

Barrister

My last job interview the employer said "we'll really, the only question I have is if I hire you how do I know you just won't move on to another job in two years"? (my resume showed 4 legal jobs in the last 10 years).

After studiously not mentioning my family, at this point I mentioned by wife, Baby Timothy, and wanting to be close to our extended family.  There was an almost audible sigh, and I of course was given the job.

And of course the first thing I did in my new office was put up my pictrues of my wife and Baby Timothy.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Take it easy on Cal, guys.  Nobody want to admit they're in HR.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2011, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 13, 2011, 05:56:51 AM
Why. The hell. Not.

If I'm hiring a salesman, I am going to pass on anyone with young children, or who is pregnant or has a pregnant wife since I know that the job demands 100% attention for the first 3-12 months depending on individual capability. I know that it will be pointless for me to make the hire and I know that it will be a waste of their time since they will not be able to produce enough to keep the job. Why fuck about and pretend it will work when you know it will not.

You know jackshit, at least about men with young children. If you did you'd know that nothing makes a man want to work late hours than the prospect of going back to a screaming baby and exhausted mother.

:lol:

Having a hard time with the kid?  :hmm:

Granted, my experience on the subject is limited to following roughly 20 hires and fires over a 5 year period (which may not sound like a lot, but considering it was in a region with a need for 6-8 sales reps, where we never managed to pass 5 it's plenty enough) but without fail the guys with young kids could simply not put in the number of hours (especially evening and weekend) necessary in order to succeed. The flexibility was simply not there. Hence, if I were to entertain hiring someone today with young children at home, he would need to make a VERY convincing case.

The same goes for women in general and taking measurements. Typically our female hires were problems from day one until they quit because 4 times out of 5, they simply couldn't take reliable measurements and consider three dimensions. A bigger company can afford not to discriminate, but a smaller one simply cannot, no matter what kind of wonderful and valuable rocket scientists I can hire from the wealth of well educated afghani refugees.

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 10:05:27 AM
Oh, ok.  For some reason alot of people around here seem to think I'm an HR drone. :unsure:

Of course not, you're an eeeeevül HR mastermind.   :P

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 10:05:27 AM

Nah, I think most people think you are a kind of "lazy mastermind" guy who is extremely overqualified for his shitty job and find fulfilment elsewhere.

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on April 13, 2011, 10:10:03 AM
The same goes for women in general and taking measurements. Typically our female hires were problems from day one until they quit because 4 times out of 5, they simply couldn't take reliable measurements and consider three dimensions.

:blink:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I wish I knew what retail chain Slargos worked for and whether they had stores in Poland - I wouldn't want to buy from a store that has sufficiently shitty corporate culture that people like Slargos get through the cracks rather than being kicked out. :P

Gups

[ :lol:

Not at all, he's 9 now so hardly young. He basically likes football, computer games and the Simpsons so we get on great.

But when he was a baby the only taste we shared was tits and for some reason he was deemed to have priority.

Slargos

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2011, 10:33:07 AM
[ :lol:

Not at all, he's 9 now so hardly young. He basically likes football, computer games and the Simpsons so we get on great.

But when he was a baby the only taste we shared was tits and for some reason he was deemed to have priority.

Next, he'll be trying out your shoes, and before you know it you're prematurely "dead from natural causes" as he cashes in on your insurance. Act now before it's too late, and don't make me say I told you so.  :hmm:

I caught my niece walking around in my boots this winter. A very chilling moment.

Caliga

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2011, 10:33:07 AM
:lol:

DIVORCE THE BITCH! :mad: