News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victory for feminism - The wage gap is closed

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 12, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 03:45:36 AM
I have been on an interview panel where the female candidate had children. A middle-aged man on the panel opined she would not be a good match for the job as "she'd probably have to take time off with her kids." I suspect the subject doesn't even come up for male candidates.

Why. The hell. Not.

If I'm hiring a salesman, I am going to pass on anyone with young children, or who is pregnant or has a pregnant wife since I know that the job demands 100% attention for the first 3-12 months depending on individual capability. I know that it will be pointless for me to make the hire and I know that it will be a waste of their time since they will not be able to produce enough to keep the job. Why fuck about and pretend it will work when you know it will not.

Brazen

Quote from: Slargos on April 13, 2011, 05:56:51 AM
Why. The hell. Not.

If I'm hiring a salesman, I am going to pass on anyone with young children, or who is pregnant or has a pregnant wife since I know that the job demands 100% attention for the first 3-12 months depending on individual capability. I know that it will be pointless for me to make the hire and I know that it will be a waste of their time since they will not be able to produce enough to keep the job. Why fuck about and pretend it will work when you know it will not.
Unless the information is volunteered, here at least it's illegal to ask.

I'd hate you to get in trouble, I know you're the last person to discriminate against anyone.

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 06:09:28 AM
Why. The hell. Not.

I'd hate you to get in trouble, I know you're the last person to discriminate against anyone.

:lol:

I don't actually know the particulars here, but typically it will come out as a natural part of the discussion anyway.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm not only wasting my own time and money, I am wasting the time of the employee since payment is based on production and someone who won't produce won't get paid, and they'll waste 6-12 months finding this out.

The Brain

At my work if two people are doing the EXACT same work they are unlikely to make the exact same amount of money. Why? Because people are differently good at business negotiations. The idea that same work = same pay is somehow important in itself is a little weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I have been on an interview panel where the female candidate had children. A middle-aged man on the panel opined she would not be a good match for the job as "she'd probably have to take time off with her kids." I suspect the subject doesn't even come up for male candidates.

Bingo.

Martinus

Good luck when someone records the conversation on their iPhone and sues the living shit out of your company.

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 06:09:28 AM

Illegal here, too.  However, it's often possible to trick the candidate into voluntarily telling you this info.  If they volunteer it, then no law has been broken and of course you can "unofficially" factor it into your hiring decision.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 09:49:57 AM
Illegal here, too.  However, it's often possible to trick the candidate into voluntarily telling you this info.  If they volunteer it, then no law has been broken and of course you can "unofficially" factor it into your hiring decision.

This is why it is a good idea to talk to the Cals of the world before an interview.  'It is just so hard being a single person totally devoted to my career.  Sometimes I spend so much time at the office I forget where my apartment is!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2011, 09:47:37 AM

Bingo.

What an ass.  Hopefully fossils like him will be retiring soon and we will see less of that in the future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Here's a trick.  Put a picture of kids on your desk in the office where you conduct the interview.  If you have kids, put a picture of them on the desk.  If not, find a picture on google of some cute little guy posing with his little league baseball bat or standing atop a soccer ball in a pee wee uniform.

Since most people think it's a good idea to establish some sort of personal connection with an interviewer, alot of them will be like "Wow your son looks just like my little Tyler!  Does he have a peanut allergy and freebase Ritalin like Tyler, too?"

At that point I'd continue the interview out of courtesy but they will have already eliminated themselves as a candidate. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
Here's a trick.  Put a picture of kids on your desk in the office where you conduct the interview.  If you have kids, put a picture of them on the desk.  If not, find a picture on google of some cute little guy posing with his little league baseball bat or standing atop a soccer ball in a pee wee uniform.

Since most people think it's a good idea to establish some sort of personal connection with an interviewer, alot of them will be like "Wow your son looks just like my little Tyler!  Does he have a peanut allergy and freebase Ritalin like Tyler, too?"

At that point I'd continue the interview out of courtesy but they will have already eliminated themselves as a candidate. :)

Wow you HR people really are evil.

Gups

Why. The hell. Not.

You know jackshit, at least about men with young children. If you did you'd know that nothing makes a man want to work late hours than the prospect of going back to a screaming baby and exhausted mother.

Grey Fox

So in America, you can't have children anymore?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 10:00:00 AM
Wow you HR people really are evil.
:frusty:

I.  am.  not.  in.  HR.

I recruited for IT positions for two years, but came at it from am IT perspective, not an HR one.  The entire rest of my career has been in IT (including now).

HVC

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2011, 10:00:59 AM

You know jackshit, at least about men with young children. If you did you'd know that nothing makes a man want to work late hours than the prospect of going back to a screaming baby and exhausted mother.
Or worse yet, an exhausted baby and screaming mother :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.