News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I am retiring in the fall

Started by Ed Anger, April 11, 2011, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I can't think of any paid work that I can do after my retirement.  It would be ideal if I can find a part-time job or something that I can do as a hobby and get paid in the process, even if the pay isn't much.  That is perhaps too much to ask and I can't really think of anything. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on April 13, 2011, 05:27:50 AM
I can't think of any paid work that I can do after my retirement.  It would be ideal if I can find a part-time job or something that I can do as a hobby and get paid in the process, even if the pay isn't much.  That is perhaps too much to ask and I can't really think of anything.

The idea is too not have to do anything. So maybe buying an already successfull restaurant?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Plumbing.

CountDeMoney

The day Mono is forced to retire is the day he blows his brains out.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valdemar on April 13, 2011, 03:32:55 AM
What do you do Ed, since you can get away with early retirement/outdelegating? Do you own part of the company? Or win in Lotto?

I'd love to be able to set a lower work hour- I don't mind working, but I'd love not to be obligated to do it when migraines and attacks hit me like they did yesterday and today :(

V

My job was in SCM, then quit that after winning a Pyrrhic victory in a power struggle in a company I won't name. Then I opened up a consulting bidness, while the wife opened up an accounting bidness. In the same office.

The one thing that helped was the large check written to me after my leg was broke. It allowed me the capital to do other things.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2011, 06:00:56 AM

The idea is too not have to do anything. So maybe buying an already successfull restaurant?

An already successful restaurant for sale is usually (a) over-valued, or (b) a scam.  I can also see that small business ownership demands even more time from me, although I may drum up enough incentive to do it. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on April 13, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

An already successful restaurant for sale is usually (a) over-valued, or (b) a scam.  I can also see that small business ownership demands even more time from me, although I may drum up enough incentive to do it.

That's why I propose something that already makes money. You change nothing, except raking in the profits.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2011, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 13, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

That's why I propose something that already makes money. You change nothing, except raking in the profits.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valdemar

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 13, 2011, 07:54:44 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on April 13, 2011, 03:32:55 AM
What do you do Ed, since you can get away with early retirement/outdelegating? Do you own part of the company? Or win in Lotto?

I'd love to be able to set a lower work hour- I don't mind working, but I'd love not to be obligated to do it when migraines and attacks hit me like they did yesterday and today :(

V

My job was in SCM, then quit that after winning a Pyrrhic victory in a power struggle in a company I won't name. Then I opened up a consulting bidness, while the wife opened up an accounting bidness. In the same office.

The one thing that helped was the large check written to me after my leg was broke. It allowed me the capital to do other things.

Must have been some check and some consulting gig for you to retire at mid 30s :) I figure you want to live in the same style for at least another 40-50 years?

V

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2011, 09:16:58 AM
If Chef Ramsay's show is any indication, buying even a successful restaurant is far from a sure bet.

Norgy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2011, 06:07:56 PM

When 3 year olds stick the dagger in, it makes you think.

Did you say: Et tu, Brute?

If this rather poor joke has been made, I apologise.

Anyway, retiring? I can understand working less, but retiring? Man, your lawn will look awesome.

Caliga

He'll get bored and "un-retire" pretty quickly.  In the words of the immortal Yoo-stain Wil-sohn, "I garon-TEE".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

I don't see how someone with a decent amount of hobbies could get bored of retirement.  I'd just wargame and read the rest of my life.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2011, 01:12:42 PM
I don't see how someone with a decent amount of hobbies could get bored of retirement.  I'd just wargame and read the rest of my life.

As someone who spent a year doing nothing, I guarantee you even hobbies don't seem so interesting when time is almost infinite. Scarcity is what makes us appreciate something.  :sleep:

Habbaku

As someone who has never been able to spend a year doing nothing, I guarantee you that I wouldn't lose interest.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien