News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rowing machine recommendations

Started by Martinus, April 11, 2011, 01:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm looking into buying a rowing machine. What manufacturers/types would you people recommend?

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Thanks. I have been told however that a rowing machine which does not utilize rope-style rows is inferior because it puts too much pressure on your joints. True/false?

The Larch

Are gyms in Poland so underequipped that they don't have rowing machines or what?  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2011, 04:11:15 AM
Thanks. I have been told however that a rowing machine which does not utilize rope-style rows is inferior because it puts too much pressure on your joints. True/false?

Sounds false.

You want an outrigger model that will utilize the full range of motion for your shoulders, unlike rope models that simply turn into horizontal lat pulls, and you wind up with overdeveloped thick lats, and not the sexy cool V shaped lats.  You want buff shoulders, don't you?

Josquius

Get an exercise bike instead, when you inevitably get bored of it they make for much better places to hang clothes.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Assuming money's no object, a WaterRower would fit best with your style and aspirations. The wooden models look lovely and you can get them via Amazon:
http://www.waterrower.co.uk/

However, the Concept 2 flywheel design is the benchmark of professional rowers and is installed in most quality gyms:
http://concept2.co.uk/

And yes, you want a chain/rope style pull. The hydraulic ones change pressure as they heat up during use.

CountDeMoney

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 05:16:00 AM
Silence, harlot!
The Concept 2 is used by the British gold medal-winning team. Maybe the Winkelvosses concentrate too much on their pretty lats.

jamesww

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2011, 04:31:15 AM
Get an exercise bike instead, when you inevitably get bored of it they make for much better places to hang clothes.

This.

Good advice, but he already has a bicycle that presumably will be shortly taking over those duties.  :hmm:

Martinus

Thanks everybody who has given a relevant advice (i.e. CdM and Brazen).

All you tards who recommend a bike - go fuck yourself you pieces of shit. I want to work on my shoulders, back, biceps and (moderately) abdomen, so your retarded hippy advice is useless.

Why is Languish so full of know-it-all idiots who can't give the specific advice you ask them for?

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2011, 04:12:29 AM
Are gyms in Poland so underequipped that they don't have rowing machines or what?  :P

I don't have time to go to a gym.

Ed Anger

Now that the serious part of the thread is over,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbsSeVr5NSI

You'll like that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2011, 07:04:40 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2011, 04:12:29 AM

I don't have time to go to a gym.

If you don't have time for a gym then I doubt that you'll have time to exercise properly at home either. In that situation I'd take the Malthus route and hire a personal trainer to make the most of your exercise time at home instead of buying expensive equipment.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2011, 07:16:26 AM
hire a personal trainer to make the most of your exercise time at home

:perv:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.