China's First Aircraft Carrier To Be Named After Admiral Who Conquered Taiwan

Started by jimmy olsen, April 10, 2011, 08:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 10, 2011, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
It's kind of hilarious that they'd name it after a traitor who sold out their country to the northern barbarians who imposed colonial rule and imperialism on China.  It's like the Russians naming a carrier the Vlassov, or a USS Benedict Arnold.
I like the sound of that... :showoff:
He did do a nice job at Valcour Bay, even though it was a loss.

The more likely name is HMCS Benedict Arnold. :showoff:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2011, 11:19:02 PM
The more likely name is HMCS Benedict Arnold. :showoff:
Genghis Khan is better-known than Benedict Arnold, and is just as Canadian.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2011, 06:48:05 AM
We name most of our boats after Indians name & artic explorers.

what, the HMCS "We had the third largest navy in the world for 15 minutes in 1945!!!!111oneoneoneoneoen" will not be comissioned along with the HMCS "We burned down Washington D.C.!!!!!111111oneoneoneone" for service in the RCMP (Rubber Duck Division)?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

@ Puff:  :lol:

Just to set the record straight, were there actually any Canadian troops along on the Washington trip?  I always assumed it was just British regulars.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 09:13:23 AM
@ Puff:  :lol:

Just to set the record straight, were there actually any Canadian troops along on the Washington trip?  I always assumed it was just British regulars.

I'd have to look at the OOB's, but if IIRC, there was some Canuck militia along from the ride.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2011, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 11, 2011, 06:48:05 AM
We name most of our boats after Indians name & artic explorers.

what, the HMCS "We had the third largest navy in the world for 15 minutes in 1945!!!!111oneoneoneoneoen" will not be comissioned along with the HMCS "We burned down Washington D.C.!!!!!111111oneoneoneone" for service in the RCMP (Rubber Duck Division)?

Name also have to be in both official language. That's just too much to ask for the side of a boat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sahib

It's kind of hilarious that they'd name it after a traitor who sold out their country to the northern barbarians who imposed colonial rule and imperialism on China.  It's like the Russians naming a carrier the Vlassov, or a USS Benedict Arnold.

Eh, Ming had clearly lost the Mandate of Heaven by then.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2011, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 09:13:23 AM

I'd have to look at the OOB's, but if IIRC, there was some Canuck militia along from the ride.
I don't believe that this is true, and it would be most unusual for militia to be taken on an expedition like this.  There were presumably some soldiers in the British army who lived in Canucklestan before or after the war, but since there wasn't a "Canada" to possess troops at this time, there would have been "any Canadian troops" to go on the expedition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

JonasSalk

China has an aircraft carrier. Good for them. A couple of ballistic missiles and it's sunk.
Yuman

jimmy olsen

Sweet pic

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9447273-satellite-spots-chinas-first-aircraft-carrier-at-sea

DigitalGlobe / AP

This satellite image provided by the the DigitalGlobe Analysis Center shows the Chinese aircraft carrier Shi Lang (Varyag) sailing in the Yellow Sea. The picture was acquired Dec. 8 by DigitalGlobe's QuickBird satellite.

QuoteAlan Boyle writes

A commercial satellite operator says it has captured a rare image of China's first aircraft carrier as it sailed through the Yellow Sea, after going through an exercise that's the 21st-century equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack.

DigitalGlobe said the aircraft carrier showed up on a cloud-filled picture snapped on Dec. 8 by its polar-orbiting QuickBird satellite from a height of 280 miles (450 kilometers). An analyst spotted the ship while checking the image on Tuesday, said Stephen Wood, the director of the company's analysis center.

"There is something that is always indispensable about having people involved," Wood told me. The ship was identified "using a combination of the satellite imagery plus open-source material on the Internet, and geography," he said, but "at the end of the day, it still comes down to a person."

Experts have been hoping for months to get a glimpse of the aircraft carrier at sea. The former Soviet Union started building the ship, originally known as the Varyag, but never finished it. After the Soviet breakup, the Varyag ended up in the hands of the Ukrainian government. The ship was auctioned off to the Chinese in 1998. Since then, the Varyag, which has reportedly been rechristened the Shi Lang, has been under refurbishment for sea service.

"This is a ship and a story that has had legs for many years," Wood said.

DigitalGlobe said this picture was taken during the carrier's second sea trial, approximately 62 miles (100 kilometers) south-southeast of the port of Dalian. Wood said the picture indicates that the ship is "moving at a decent rate of speed, which would be expected in the middle of the ocean." The U.S. military could no doubt glean more information about the Shi Lang's status, from QuickBird's pictures as well as from classified, higher-resolution imagery.
advertisement

China says the Shi Lang will be used for research and training, and the project is thought to be part of the country's strategy to expand its presence as a naval power. The Chinese military is expected to build more copies of the ship in coming years. In fact, sources told Reuters in July that a second aircraft carrier was under construction.

"China's next moves have to be watched carefully, or there eventually could be a negative impact on maritime safety in Asia," Yoshihiko Yamada, a professor at Japan's Tokai University, told Reuters at the time.

QuickBird's view of the Shi Lang serves as today's offering from the Cosmic Log Space Advent Calendar, which features an image of Earth from space every day from now until Christmas. Here are the past offerings in the series:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2011, 07:16:37 PM
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9447273-satellite-spots-chinas-first-aircraft-carrier-at-sea

That doesn't so much seem to be an aircraft carrier as just a carrier. And since the only thing I can identify on the flight deck is something like a lorry or mobile crane, could you more accurately describe it as a car ferry ?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Sahib on April 11, 2011, 10:45:07 AM

:yes:

The Qing dynasty is not viewed as evil in Chinese history.  It is considered the rightful heir to Ming.  At the point when the Qing conquered Taiwan, the Ming were traitors that deserve to be destroyed. 

At any point in Chinese history, there is always a rightful faction that has the mandate of heaven.  All the others are bandits, thieves, usurpers, barbarians etc  :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2011, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: Sahib on April 11, 2011, 10:45:07 AM

The Qing dynasty is not viewed as evil in Chinese history.  It is considered the rightful heir to Ming.  At the point when the Qing conquered Taiwan, the Ming were traitors that deserve to be destroyed. 

At any point in Chinese history, there is always a rightful faction that has the mandate of heaven.  All the others are bandits, thieves, usurpers, barbarians etc  :bowler:

Just as long as they don't screw up the Taiwanese bike industry I'm happy.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"