China's First Aircraft Carrier To Be Named After Admiral Who Conquered Taiwan

Started by jimmy olsen, April 10, 2011, 08:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

We really need a ChiCom smile.

Photos of the carriers here, and analysis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dfRAxXn0RE&feature=player_embedded

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2011040824838
Beijing plans to christen its first aircraft carrier "Shi Lang" after a Ming Dynasty admiral who conquered Taiwan in 1683. The Han Chinese leader defected from the Ming to the Qing Dynasty and accomplished great feats. His name befits the vessel whose nationality was changed from Ukrainian to Chinese and is associated with the rise and fall of great world powers. What is the South Korean military and government doing to assess the potential impact of China's possession of an aircraft carrier on national security?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

QuoteChina purchased the 67,500-ton Varyag, an unfinished aircraft carrier, at 200 million U.S. dollars from Ukraine in 1998 under the pretext of reconstructing the vessel as a maritime hotel. The purpose of the vessel was changed, however, and Beijing will soon launch it as an aircraft carrier.

Somebody do me a big favor, and post this over at EUOT forum, and jam it up the collective Euroweenie peacnik asses that gave me a bunch of shit over this back in 2002.  Tell them I TOLD YOU SO YOU STUPID SWEDISH FUCKS.

Neil

Except it's a Russian ship.  No doubt the first time a plane tries to land on it, the deck will fall off or something.  I wouldn't be too worried.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I'm surprised they are actually going to that piece of junk to sea.  I imagine it'll be primarily a training platform.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

And if they named it the Zheng He you'd be pissing your pants about their bid to dominate the Indian ocean.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on April 10, 2011, 09:21:37 PM
And if they named it the Zheng He you'd be pissing your pants about their bid to dominate the Indian ocean.

If only they'd name it after one of those Chinese guys who discovered America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2011, 09:29:19 PM
If only they'd name it after one of those Chinese guys who discovered America.

That was also Zheng He. ;)
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ideologue

It's kind of hilarious that they'd name it after a traitor who sold out their country to the northern barbarians who imposed colonial rule and imperialism on China.  It's like the Russians naming a carrier the Vlassov, or a USS Benedict Arnold.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on April 10, 2011, 09:21:37 PM
You're damn right we would! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2011, 08:37:20 PM
lulz, OH NO THEYD NEVR ATTACK TAIWAN THEIR SO CAPITALISTIC NOW

Sabre-rattling = pussy way of attacking.  The Chinks are going to do anything.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
It's kind of hilarious that they'd name it after a traitor who sold out their country to the northern barbarians who imposed colonial rule and imperialism on China.  It's like the Russians naming a carrier the Vlassov, or a USS Benedict Arnold.
I like the sound of that... :showoff:
He did do a nice job at Valcour Bay, even though it was a loss.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 10, 2011, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
I like the sound of that... :showoff:
He did do a nice job at Valcour Bay, even though it was a loss.

You have to admit he was fairly creative.  I wonder what would have happened had he not been wounded, married a loyalist slut and then betrayed the US.  He could have eclipsed Washington.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Eh, in a military sense maybe.  He was a terrible businessman though, so peace time would have ruined him probably.  I don't see him going into politics after his repeated run ins with the Continental Congress.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."