News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bloomberg: EPIC FAIL?

Started by Caliga, April 07, 2011, 12:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

LOLWUT?

Cathie Black's short term as New York City schools Chancellor riddled with gaffes
BY Meredith Kolodner
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, April 7th 2011, 12:46 PM

Schools Chancellor Cathie Black will leave her post, after serving for only three months.

From verbal gaffes to losing her temper, Cathie Black added fuel to her critics' fire soon after Mayor Bloomberg appointed her chancellor.

Public outrage accompanied her November appointment to replace outgoing chancellor Joel Klein, taking the form of public protests and a lawsuit to deny her the state waiver she needed to become chancellor.

But barely two weeks after her handlers released her from a month-long seclusion from public questions and interviews, she stepped into controversy.

At a meeting about massive overcrowding in lower Manhattan schools, the new chancellor, whose own children never attended public school, asked parents, "Could we just have some birth control for a while?...It would really help us."

There was more to come.

Hundreds of parents booed her at the next school policy meeting, waving condoms. Black managed to keep her cool through the meeting, but revealed her lack of familiarity with school matters by referring to long-time panel member Patrick Sullivan as "Mr. Cunningham."

At the next public meeting, where she was booed again, she let her annoyance get the best of her. She responded to the hecklers by mocking them, screwing up her face and mimicking them, "Oooooh." The clip played continuously on local television stations.

Her public appearances began to dwindle, and she was flanked wherever she did go by deputy mayor Dennis Walcott, who stepped into taking the substantial questions.

She further alienated principals, who complained she was not as responsive to emails as Klein had been, when she refused to overturn a decision to take half the money principals had saved for next year in anticipation of budget cuts.

By Monday, Cathie Black clocked in with an approval rating of 17%.

Some saw the writing on the wall early. The first deputy chancellor to jump ship - Photeine Anagnostopoulos, deputy chancellor for finance and technology - left the agency the day after Black was appointed.

Eric Nadelstern, who was essentially number two in command under Klein, resigned in January. He was followed by well-regarded veteran Santiago Taveras and wunderkind John White this week.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/07/2011-04-07_cathie_blacks_short_term_as_new_york_city_schools_chancellor_riddled_with_gaffes.html#ixzz1IrNqmMvB
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

QuotePhoteine Anagnostopoulos,

That is quite the name.

Caliga

garbon

This is the example you choose of epic fail?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2011, 12:40:11 PM
This is the example you choose of epic fail?
Yeah.  Appoint someone to the schools position with no relevant experience, who didn't even attend public schools themselves nor send their kids to public schools?  Might as well have appointed me to that position. :)

KRonn

I'm sure this woman was appointed, over all other qualified candidates, after a thorough Nation wide search!    <_<

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jamesww

I love how, according to wiki, shes authored a book entitled:

'The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)'  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: jamesww on April 07, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
I love how, according to wiki, shes authored a book entitled:

'The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)'  :hmm:
see: narcissist thread. :)

Malthus

I gotta admit, this made me chuckle.

QuoteAt a meeting about massive overcrowding in lower Manhattan schools, the new chancellor, whose own children never attended public school, asked parents, "Could we just have some birth control for a while?...It would really help us."

Gotta be the very definition of bureaucratic chutzpah.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2011, 12:30:42 PM
LOLWUT?

I gotta think that this 17% just didn't understand the question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2011, 01:18:08 PM
I gotta admit, this made me chuckle.

QuoteAt a meeting about massive overcrowding in lower Manhattan schools, the new chancellor, whose own children never attended public school, asked parents, "Could we just have some birth control for a while?...It would really help us."

Gotta be the very definition of bureaucratic chutzpah.  :D

People hate people who traffick in the truth.

The Minsky Moment

Third term not the charm.
Always liked Bloomberg but the shark has been aerially bypassed. 
Time for new blood.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2011, 04:54:49 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2011, 12:30:42 PM
LOLWUT?

I gotta think that this 17% just didn't understand the question.
Maybe she has a large family, and they all were polled?