China Tightens Censorship of Electronic Communications

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2011, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2011, 08:15:20 AM
I'm due to be in China next week. Would I be able to follow events in Egypt while I'm there?

If you stay in a large hotel, they'll have uncensored access to CNN, BBC etc. 

You'll also have access to languish, i.e. the timmay RSS feed  ;)

Otherwise, no.  Pretty much all "western" news sites will be blocked.  I speak from first hand experience. 

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2011, 10:18:07 AM
I'm due to be in China next week. Would I be able to follow events in Egypt while I'm there?

If you stay in a large hotel, they'll have uncensored access to CNN, BBC etc. 

You'll also have access to languish, i.e. the timmay RSS feed  ;)

Otherwise, no.  Pretty much all "western" news sites will be blocked.  I speak from first hand experience.
No foreign scribes allowed, eh?   ;)

Monoriu

A sidenote.  I can access languish from anywhere in China.  Except Guangzhou.  When I tried to log on, I got a message that said something to the effect of "fuck off you spammer".  The actual wording was more...colourful :D

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2011, 11:19:16 AM
A sidenote.  I can access languish from anywhere in China.  Except Guangzhou.  When I tried to log on, I got a message that said something to the effect of "fuck off you spammer".  The actual wording was more...colourful :D
Sounds like a mod, CDM responding.   :D

Josquius

The Shakespeare story is both funny and worrying.
So there's some sort of automated system that recognises the word protest in English and Chinese and cuts off calls?

This is worrying stuff when you consider it is also combined with Weiwei's arrest. People thought China would reform for the better eventually,its going the other way.

QuoteA sidenote.  I can access languish from anywhere in China.  Except Guangzhou.  When I tried to log on, I got a message that said something to the effect of "fuck off you spammer".  The actual wording was more...colourful :D
You know languish is dead when the Chinese don't think we're in any way subversive.
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2011, 10:18:07 AM
Pretty much all "western" news sites will be blocked.  I speak from first hand experience.

Not a single western news website was blocked when I was in China between 2008 - June 2010, apart from Facebook and Youtube (which are not really traditional news sites, either).    :unsure:

Jacob

Where are you going in China?

Warspite

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2011, 03:53:04 PM

Where are you going in China?
I lied. I just wanted to keep the "Can I read about Egypt" thing going.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA