News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Portugal goes bust.

Started by Legbiter, April 06, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2011, 11:57:48 AM
So, what you're saying is, in Portugal, I'd be considered industrious.  Interesting.

I'd like to offer my services as a cruel despot.

I've already laid claim to Portugal with Slargos as my Governor-General with my 5 dollar purchase of their eggplant nation.

If Slargos doesn't keep the cork flowing, I'd take your resume.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2011, 05:31:53 PM
So, what you're saying is, in Portugal, I'd be considered industrious.  Interesting.

I've already laid claim to Portugal with Slargos as my Governor-General with my 5 dollar purchase of their eggplant nation.

Presuming the proper funding for the Department of Cultural Correction, I am confident I can keep the unruly natives under control.

A bit of corruption is to be expected, but I could probably keep from making it too obvious. You would see most of the Cork returned to your coffers.  :bowler:

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2011, 05:28:49 PM
Read a couple articles today in the FT in which they described Corkistan's Social Democrats as a center-right party, so maybe Martim is not quite as nutty as believed.  :hmm:

The Portuguese Social Democratic Party *is* a center-right party, the name is, apparently, a historical oddity.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2011, 05:31:53 PM

I am comfortable with what the kids are calling "hell columns."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 08, 2011, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2011, 09:07:17 PM
They're an eggplant people who don't even speak correct Spanish.  Fuck 'em.

That's ok, we'll just take your tax dollars [part of the US contribution to the IMF loan] and give them away in subsidies so that more eggplants can have nice vacations.  :)

In fact, I would like to thank almost all of Languish for having become net donators to Portugal. This is a great system we got going here.

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80
Most debt in Belgium is in hands of Belgians. And if Belgium goes down it will not be because of debt. As for governments: we have 6, 5 are still working.

For "working" one means "with the legitimacy to cut the budget", which your current government does not have. Also, your lovely banks ran up debts equal to 340% of your national GDP, are heavily exposed to PIGS debt and your State offers generous bank guarantees.

Unless you cut your debt dramatically to about 4.7% of GDP in the rather short term (very doubtful), the ratings agencies already warned that they'll start cutting your rating. Since Belgium needs to refinance a good chunk of its debt this year and the next, rising rates will wreck the budget in all possible manners.

Current estimates put a Belgian bailout at 175 billion euro - more than Ireland and Portugal combined.

Nice going for such level-headed folks (aka irresponsible bankers and ethnic-clashing loonies)

Time to split Belgium between France and the Netherlands.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Eurotribalists are literally about the most petty people alive.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2011, 08:10:25 PM

The British need Belgium for the next time they get in a tiff with Germany or France.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Fireblade

Quote from: Legbiter on April 08, 2011, 10:33:34 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2011, 08:10:25 PM

The British need Belgium for the next time they get in a tiff with Germany or France.

The Germans need Belgium for the next time they need collaborators to point out which attics the Jews are hiding in.

Zanza2

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 08, 2011, 10:06:49 AM
For "working" one means "with the legitimacy to cut the budget", which your current government does not have. Also, your lovely banks ran up debts equal to 340% of your national GDP, are heavily exposed to PIGS debt and your State offers generous bank guarantees.

Unless you cut your debt dramatically to about 4.7% of GDP in the rather short term (very doubtful), the ratings agencies already warned that they'll start cutting your rating. Since Belgium needs to refinance a good chunk of its debt this year and the next, rising rates will wreck the budget in all possible manners.

Current estimates put a Belgian bailout at 175 billion euro - more than Ireland and Portugal combined.

Nice going for such level-headed folks (aka irresponsible bankers and ethnic-clashing loonies)

so what.
given that Milquet already said tht she doesn't care if the last big bank of Belgium (KBC) goes down because it's only flemish money I don't see where to problem is.