News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Portugal goes bust.

Started by Legbiter, April 06, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Portugal has thrown in the towel and requested a formal bailout.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8433352/Portugal-We-need-European-aid.html]

Quote"I want to inform the Portuguese that the government decided today to ask...for financial help, to ensure financing for our country, for our financial system and for our economy,"

So, how long until Spain folds?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on April 06, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

I don't think Spain is going to croak.

jimmy olsen

Flow with the sick lyrical upper cut punch.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Portugal should be made, at gun point, to auction off its assets to repay the debt.  Land, stakes in national companies, museum collections, military assets etc  :menace:

Camerus

They need a patch to fix that auto loan problem.

Martim Silva

Two words: THE PITS!

Our PM is a total retard, and has been stalling this for political gain, almost to the last cent in the state's coffers. The Banks had been cut off by the ECB and were about to die. The bailout request only came because the bankers got furious at the prospect of going bankrupt because of some stupid political ego and cut off all financing to the State.

Note that our politicians are so greedy that the PM will run for reelection in June. And he rose dramatically in the polls in the last week, so don't be surprised if we end up with a situation where nobody can get a majority government, not even with a coalition.

Quote from: Legbiter

Long before Spain, we have to look at Belgium - 375 billion euro in debt and NO government to control its debt, even after 280 days after the election. If the local politicians don't get their act together, that country will collapse before the end of the year.

Quote from: Monoriu
Portugal should be made, at gun point, to auction off its assets to repay the debt.  Land, stakes in national companies, museum collections, military assets etc

Not enough to pay off the debt, sorry. We don't really have military assets and our museum collections are mostly crap. The State has no idea what land it owns, and while national companies WILL have to be privatized, the total income is just a fraction of what we will need (some 75-90 billion euro).

That is why Germany has the common european governance standards, to ensure we won't go amok with our finances again. But first the living standards need to be dramatically cut.

(Today we had another strike in the Subway, whose drivers want huge raises. After all, they only make five times the national average)

KRonn

Sad to see this happen.  I wonder what the financial or other impacts will be on the average person?

Maybe the US can bail out Portugal. We seem to have plenty of (other people's borrowed) money.   ;)

Caliga

Martim, do you think Brazil should buy Portugal?  Will you bow to: Imperatriz Dilma? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 07, 2011, 07:41:27 AM
(Today we had another strike in the Subway, whose drivers want huge raises. After all, they only make five times the national average)

I support this, but I can understand why some people would question their timing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martim Silva

Quote from: KRonn on April 07, 2011, 07:49:18 AM
Sad to see this happen.  I wonder what the financial or other impacts will be on the average person?

They will be brutal. After the 1975 Revolution, the new regime decided to create a whole new class to support it, and it chose the Civil Servants to do so.

As a result, their numbers boomed. To give you an example, with a population of 10 million, Portugal has 700,000 Civil Servants (small military included). In comparision, the US has a population of 308 million and 4.4 million Civil Servants (large military included).

Most of our civil servants don't really work, so it is clear that they'll either get massive paycuts or be laid off in gigantic droves.

Quote from: Caliga
Martim, do you think Brazil should buy Portugal?  Will you bow to: Imperatriz Dilma

Germany has already set foot here and said: "Mine!". The French timidly are kinda trying to do the same (For historical reasons, Germany is much more popular here than France is).

While Dilma simply scurried off (literally; she cancelled every appointment and went straight back to her plane) when the issue of buying our debt came up. Brazil simply cannot afford it - for all it's talk, it is a developing nation, and this is Europe we are talking about.

So, we'll be bowing to Kaiserin Merkel (might as well, as most of Merkel's cabinet doesn't. They obey mostly out of duty. Truth be said, to make German cabinet ministers/secretaries comply immediately and without complaints nothing beats a solid male voice).

Quote from: Liep
I support this, but I can understand why some people would question their timing.

Actually, they've been striking from 6h30 to 11h30 AM every Tuesday and Thursday for about a month now. Ditto for the Trains. Sometimes, the Buses also join. The administrations put out huge boards saying that the workers are "irresponsible", especially because those companies only have funds to keep working until June (more now, due to IMF/EU funding).

On a sidenote, people here are saying that, besides the IMF (which we say FMI), we also need the FBI to come, in order to jail all the corrupt people in the country.

Caliga

eh, it's a Catholic country... it'd probably be easier to jail the non-corrupt people. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 07, 2011, 09:36:03 AM

They will be brutal. After the 1975 Revolution, the new regime decided to create a whole new class to support it, and it chose the Civil Servants to do so.

As a result, their numbers boomed. To give you an example, with a population of 10 million, Portugal has 700,000 Civil Servants (small military included). In comparision, the US has a population of 308 million and 4.4 million Civil Servants (large military included).

Did anyone actually think that would work long term or were they all just "screw the next generation" while uttering an evil laugh? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Great. First the 'no dicks' thing, and now this.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius