24 (68.6%)
No
4 (11.4%)
Ni!
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 06, 2011, 12:20:46 AM
Cattraeth = Catterick btw, which is in what is now North Yorkshire. Goddodin was a Welsh "kingdom" in Northern England and Southern Scotland.

Which puts "Arthur" in the wrong location and the wrong time period from the Arthur in the Historia Brittonum.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Who could guess Languish would hide so many accomplished anthropologists.  :D

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 12:41:54 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 06, 2011, 07:34:15 AM
I think the fact that invaders from across the north sea (Saxons and later Danes) both invade and overrun the same part of England and then stop, make a deal and then one generation later (I refer to the pause between the agreement on the Danelaw and the Kingdom of Knut) conquest is resumed. I'd rather suggest that it has something to do with how far the seafaring boats from Frisia and Jutland could get up the rivers of England (Thames, Humber, Ouse, Tyne etc. etc.) rather than the ambitions or achievements of a historical parallel to Alfred the Great in the 6th century.
and it took them 50 years to resume their march inside the country?

hmm.  It depends on how we see them, were they invaders&conquerers or simply migrants?  Migrants, move to one place, mix the locals, and slowly expand into new territories. If we look at 19th century US history, can we cut a clear mark on where US settlers stopped for a generation then resume moving?  I don't think so (except for the Secession war).  If in Britain the advance of the Saxons was completely stopped for a period of 50 years, I think it's reasonable to think that there was something that stopped them in their tracks.

Maybe it was King Arthur and Merlin ;) .  Maybe it was an epidemic of some sort.  Maybe they simply had enough lands for everyone in this time period.  But I just don't think the inapropriate boat type was the reason, not for 50 years.

I don't think that the purpose of either "invasion" was to conquer everything. I just think that there is a logical scope of conquest for raiders from the north sea traveling in large boats in England. The reason I think this is that it happens twice within a few hundred years in England. Same areas get conquered by the invaders then the invasion stops, then some time later the invasion gets concluded.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

I always wanted the Romano-British to survive to the end of Britannia (AH) but I never saw it happen.  One game they survived till like 800, though. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 12:21:36 PM
Quote from: Strix on April 05, 2011, 06:33:26 PM
Ask grumbler, he served under Arthur at some po
int in his military career.
No, you're mistaken.  Arthur did not have a navy.

He had to get to Avalon somehow.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on April 06, 2011, 02:02:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 12:21:36 PM
Quote from: Strix on April 05, 2011, 06:33:26 PM
Ask grumbler, he served under Arthur at some po
int in his military career.
No, you're mistaken.  Arthur did not have a navy.

He had to get to Avalon somehow.

This is a mysterious part of his past that Grumbler has choosen not to share with us.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2011, 01:51:35 PM
I always wanted the Romano-British to survive to the end of Britannia (AH) but I never saw it happen.  One game they survived till like 800, though. :)

I've seen the Romano-British survive for a while, that cav unit is counter fluff of the worst kind though... They survive when the Romans fizzle, leaving the saxons, welsh and angles to go hammers and tongs after each other... At that point if they survive they suicide themselves to help the dubliners or scots in, depending on where they are... but if they do that you aren't getting any points with them. The point system sort of demands that they suicide themselves on somebody. I once destroyed the saxon invasion with them and then moved north getting them killed going after angles letting the second or third saxon wave get in.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Well, the cav unit is supposed to be King Arthur so th...

...wait, so the thread's question has now been answered.  King Arthur was an actual historical figure. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Slargos on April 06, 2011, 01:07:46 PM
Who could guess Languish would hide so many accomplished anthropologists.  :D

:lol:

Languish is like a never ending college bull session; don't ever take anything you learn here entirely seriously.  After all I've had Languideshians set me straight on electrical engineering and wireless telecommunication technology.

If I were genuinely interested in an historic Arthur I would have looked in academic journals; but where's the fun in that?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock