24 (68.6%)
No
4 (11.4%)
Ni!
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 35

crazy canuck

Quote from: citizen k on April 05, 2011, 05:11:56 PM
There was a tv program about myths and legends with Michael Wood. Found some Roman-era grave on some Scottish farm.

http://www.pbs.org/mythsandheroes/video_arthur.html

More evidence than there is for there being a historical David.

The Minsky Moment

Basically Sav you have stated the issue -- Nennius is writing many centuries after the fact and his "source" here appears to be Welsh poetry and folk legends.

The legendary Arthur is linked to the battle of Mons Badonicus, which is attested to by Gildas.  That then leads to a whole secondary line of inquiry about the connection between that battle and Aurelius Ambrosius, a Romano-British leader who Gildas refers to be name and praises.  One can speculate as to the legendary Arthur might trace its origin via oral history from some war leader who fought with Ambrosius, or succeeded him or is a composite based on him.  But IMO its a pointless debate.  The Arthur we know about has nothing to do with actual history, but with how we imagine our history and thus ourselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2011, 06:03:42 PM

Which isn't saying much.

(cue Malthus . . .)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Strix

Ask grumbler, he served under Arthur at some point in his military career.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

jamesww

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 05, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
Basically Sav you have stated the issue -- Nennius is writing many centuries after the fact and his "source" here appears to be Welsh poetry and folk legends.

The legendary Arthur is linked to the battle of Mons Badonicus, which is attested to by Gildas.  That then leads to a whole secondary line of inquiry about the connection between that battle and Aurelius Ambrosius, a Romano-British leader who Gildas refers to be name and praises.  One can speculate as to the legendary Arthur might trace its origin via oral history from some war leader who fought with Ambrosius, or succeeded him or is a composite based on him.  But IMO its a pointless debate.  The Arthur we know about has nothing to do with actual history, but with how we imagine our history and thus ourselves.

I live 15 miles away from the battlesite, well one of the many possibilities; I'll stop by on Wednesday or Friday and see if I can find a druid to give me the gem.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Strix on April 05, 2011, 06:33:26 PM
Ask grumbler, he served under Arthur at some point in his military career.

I thought he was with Aetius at the battle of Chalons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2011, 06:03:42 PM
Quote from: citizen k on April 05, 2011, 05:11:56 PM
There was a tv program about myths and legends with Michael Wood. Found some Roman-era grave on some Scottish farm.

http://www.pbs.org/mythsandheroes/video_arthur.html

Indeed, and Jesus appears in Egyptian writings 18,000 years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I'm actually willing to accept that there is a "kernel of truth". To the story.  There may have very well been a warlord or warrior named Arthur (or some variation of it) who became legendary at some point, but it's entirely possible he was legendary long before the Saxons invaded.  Perhaps he was legendary warrior who fought in some clan war in Briton or possibly else where in the Celtic world.  Perhaps he fought the Romans and poets later adopted him as a hero to fight the Saxons.  The Song of Roland is an example of this.  There seems to have been a Roland who fought a battle at Roncevaux.  However the poem puts him against Moors rather then Christian Basques.  In my opinion it is fruitless to look for the "kernal" of truth in these stories.  It could be anywhere, and very possibly in places you least expect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 05, 2011, 04:35:24 PM
There was an Arthur, but calling him a king is a stretch. That's my thinking.
There were many Welsh kings in that era.  King didn't mean what it means now.  Anyone without an overlord was a king, no matter how small the "kingdom."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Raz:  If he were a Briton fighting the Romans it would probably have been documented.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 05, 2011, 06:25:36 PM

+1
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2011, 07:12:45 PM
Raz:  If he were a Briton fighting the Romans it would probably have been documented.

Not necessarily.  Documentation from antiquity is much more sparse then most people believe.  The sources we do have are almost all biased as they from the opinions of the Romans.  The idea that some warleader in Briton (or perhaps France or Spain) trounced some Romans and records for it were lost or simply not recorded is not very far-fetched.

KRonn

Of course there was a King Arthur. How else would that sword have been taken out of that stone??   ;)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

In some ways, this debate reminds me of the old joke:

A:  "Did you hear?  Historians have determined that it wasn't Homer who wrote the Odyssey and the Iliad!"

B:  "Really?  I hadn't heard that! who wrote them?"

A: "Turns out it was some other guy with the same name."

Bayraktar!