How much of the credit does Obama get for Capt. Phillips's rescue?

Started by derspiess, April 14, 2009, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much of the credit does Obama get for Capt. Phillips's rescue?

100%
7 (33.3%)
75%
0 (0%)
50%
1 (4.8%)
25%
6 (28.6%)
0%
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Hansmeister

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 02:17:06 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 14, 2009, 02:12:16 PMWhat I find more disturbing is that Obama had apparently 14 meetings on the hostage situation.

I find that VERY hard to believe.  :huh:

I was wrong, according to the WaPo it was actually 17.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 14, 2009, 02:12:16 PM
Agree.  It seems that the Navy Captain went out on a limb on this one.  He was apparently only authorized to use if the prisoner's life was in immediate danger (d'oh).  He interpreted that to mean as soon as he was able to get a clear shot at all three pirates at the same time.  If it had gone wrong the WH would've most likely disavowed responsibility.
If he was your CO, would you fire him?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

Brilliant job by those SEAL chaps  :thumbsup:

I'd made the mistake of reading an article that described Captain Phillips. From the description he seemed to be a fine man, from that moment on he ceased to be a mere statistic and I became emotionally involved in the drama. Really didn't anticipate this excellent outcome.

Richard Hakluyt

About the credit.

The credit goes to the US navy and, more particularly, to the personnel directly involved.

However, just as a failure would have damaged Obama's standing, this success will help him, if only for the feel-good factor.

garbon

Quote from: saskganesh on April 14, 2009, 01:56:00 PM
the pirates should capture someone at 3 AM. only then will we see if Obama is really ready.

Hillary will be!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2009, 02:26:19 PM
Agree.  It seems that the Navy Captain went out on a limb on this one.  He was apparently only authorized to use if the prisoner's life was in immediate danger (d'oh).  He interpreted that to mean as soon as he was able to get a clear shot at all three pirates at the same time.  If it had gone wrong the WH would've most likely disavowed responsibility.

He was acting exactly as a leader should.

crazy canuck

How much credit does Obama get for the rescue? 

Is he taking any?  The news clips I saw showed him thanking the people responsible for the rescue.

Hansmeister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 02:47:38 PM

Is he taking any?  The news clips I saw showed him thanking the people responsible for the rescue.

So far Obama has handled the aftermath quite well.

Neil

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 14, 2009, 02:41:10 PM

If Obama was your CO, would you fire him?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2009, 02:50:17 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 14, 2009, 02:41:10 PM

If Obama was your CO, would you fire him?
I will in 2012.

KRonn

I am a bit annoyed/concerned that so many details of how this operation went are out in the open, being discussed and all. US military should have said nothing, or little, except that the Captain was released. No need to tell how the SEALS did what/when, nor so much about the what moves the Navy on the scene did. Keep it quiet so pirates or others have no idea how it went or how to counter it in the future.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 02:47:38 PM

Nobody said he's claiming credit-- I was referring to the news coverage and "analysis" pieces I've seen that are *giving* credit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2009, 02:20:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 02:17:06 PMI find that VERY hard to believe.  :huh:

Hans has a way of telling a fact and still having it be a lie.  Who knows what that really means.  Obama might have had 14 conversations about it that got spun as "meetings".

In any case you will never find me complaining our government takes its time and carefully considers its actions.  Better slow and careful than fast and reckless.  I hope Obama has all the meetings he needs.

Your drift toward Obamapoligism has been saddening :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017