How much of the credit does Obama get for Capt. Phillips's rescue?

Started by derspiess, April 14, 2009, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much of the credit does Obama get for Capt. Phillips's rescue?

100%
7 (33.3%)
75%
0 (0%)
50%
1 (4.8%)
25%
6 (28.6%)
0%
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

derspiess

The recent episode with the Somali pirates attacking a US-flagged merchant vessel & then attempting to ransom the captain is being reported as President Obama's first foreign policy test and that he passed it with flying colors. 

I haven't read quite so much about the people more directly involved with the actual operation, however.  Which begs the question, how much of the credit does Obama deserve for the successful operation to rescue Capt. Phillips?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Less credit than Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Emperor Hirohito, Clement Attlee and George W. Bush.  More credit than Jimmy Carter, Andrew Johnson and Francois Mitterand.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

grumbler

Null vote, as the question doesn't make any sense to me.  I don't know how to divide "credit" nor do I understand why I should have to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0%, obviously.  I'm pretty sure any President would have given the exact same order assuming they were presented with the same information.  Ok, maybe 0.5%.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

I think he deserves as much credit for the success of the operation as he would have lost had it all gone wrong.

In all reality though he deserves very little.  There were a couple of decisions, I understand, that helped this.  One was that the US started negotiations with tribal elders to get the Captain released.  Because of that the pirates allowed their boat to be towed, which in turn put them within reach of the SEALS.  Second is that I understand that he authorised the use of force if the SEALS got a chance.  I think those were good decisions but this is really a very minor thing.  I don't think you learn anything from it except that American specials forces are very good and exceptionally well trained and that they deserve credit for doing their job very well.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

The answer to this question depends on a lot of things (mainly on the outcome).  In this case, 100% seems fair.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2009, 11:41:18 AM
I think he deserves as much credit for the success of the operation as he would have lost had it all gone wrong.

In all reality though he deserves very little.  There were a couple of decisions, I understand, that helped this.  One was that the US started negotiations with tribal elders to get the Captain released.  Because of that the pirates allowed their boat to be towed, which in turn put them within reach of the SEALS.  Second is that I understand that he authorised the use of force if the SEALS got a chance.  I think those were good decisions but this is really a very minor thing.  I don't think you learn anything from it except that American specials forces are very good and exceptionally well trained and that they deserve credit for doing their job very well.
Agreed pretty much. Pres Obama probably has the final call on things, as the Commander in Chief, but I'd expect there are certain standing orders or rules of engagement in place anyway. I give Obama some small credit for it being on his watch, and I'd hope he wouldn't have been griefed too much if this had gone badly. Have to try sometimes and there are no guarantees, but politics loves to find scapegoats and point fingers.

saskganesh

the pirates should capture someone at 3 AM. only then will we see if Obama is really ready.
humans were created in their own image

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2009, 11:41:18 AM

Agree.  It seems that the Navy Captain went out on a limb on this one.  He was apparently only authorized to use if the prisoner's life was in immediate danger (d'oh).  He interpreted that to mean as soon as he was able to get a clear shot at all three pirates at the same time.  If it had gone wrong the WH would've most likely disavowed responsibility.

What I find more disturbing is that Obama had apparently 14 meetings on the hostage situation.  WTF?  Sounds like a case of paralysis by analysis, not uncommon in those who lack leadership qualities.

Caliga

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 14, 2009, 02:12:16 PMWhat I find more disturbing is that Obama had apparently 14 meetings on the hostage situation.

I find that VERY hard to believe.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 02:17:06 PMI find that VERY hard to believe.  :huh:

Hans has a way of telling a fact and still having it be a lie.  Who knows what that really means.  Obama might have had 14 conversations about it that got spun as "meetings".

In any case you will never find me complaining our government takes its time and carefully considers its actions.  Better slow and careful than fast and reckless.  I hope Obama has all the meetings he needs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.