Main Menu

Why can't I build heavy cruisers? HOI2DD

Started by jimmy olsen, April 14, 2009, 10:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 09:52:45 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2009, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2009, 08:21:06 PM
There is a reason why there was a hiatus in building the 8" cruiser - it was because everyone realized that the few circumstances in which the superior range and punch of the 8" gunl outweighed the superior rate of fire of the 6" gun were few and far between.
It's interesting to note that other than the Americans (who could afford to be conservative and wasteful) and the Germans (who had no idea what they were doing), nobody built any heavy cruisers after the early 1930s.  I suppose you could take into account the rearming of the Mogamis and the redesign of the Tones, but that was part of the whole Japanese 'light battlecruiser' concept, and Japanese surface thinking was somewhat odd.  Even the American wartime heavy cruisers were pretty much AA boats.  The idea of a heavy cruiser as a surface combattant was largely gone by the the late 30s, and war experience bore that out.

They seem to be useful in game though, and that's all I'm concerned with.
Your lack of concern with naval history is troubling.  You disappoint me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

I can see from posts here that somebody is using a different definition of Heavy Cruiser that I do. I thought the main gun defined the category of cruser (6" being the cut off).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on April 20, 2009, 10:22:52 PM
I can see from posts here that somebody is using a different definition of Heavy Cruiser that I do. I thought the main gun defined the category of cruser (6" being the cut off).
That's pretty much it.  Generally speaking, 8" guns are a heavy cruiser, while 6" or less is a light cruiser.  There's a few odd ones made in Britain or Japan, heavy cruisers with 7.9" or 7.5" guns.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 08:42:23 PM
How about the Kaiserriech mod? You can play the Combined Syndicates of America and fight the Second American Civil War. They're kind of like the Reds.

Have you played that mod yet?  It seems to have a million files associated with it.  Do I really need them all?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on April 20, 2009, 10:34:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 08:42:23 PM
How about the Kaiserriech mod? You can play the Combined Syndicates of America and fight the Second American Civil War. They're kind of like the Reds.

Have you played that mod yet?  It seems to have a million files associated with it.  Do I really need them all?

I haven't played it, but I've seen quite a few AARs of it and IIRC it's made by the same folks who made All the Russia's, which I have played. Ask around on the Pdox forum.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2009, 09:43:22 PM
It's interesting to note that other than the Americans (who could afford to be conservative and wasteful) and the Germans (who had no idea what they were doing), nobody built any heavy cruisers after the early 1930s.  I suppose you could take into account the rearming of the Mogamis and the redesign of the Tones, but that was part of the whole Japanese 'light battlecruiser' concept, and Japanese surface thinking was somewhat odd.  Even the American wartime heavy cruisers were pretty much AA boats.  The idea of a heavy cruiser as a surface combattant was largely gone by the the late 30s, and war experience bore that out.
Ovarall, I agree, though I would note that the Mk 16 8" US gun + shell + turret (on Witchita and the Baltimores) was sufficiently superior to the 6" gun on the Clevelands that the decision to build ships with these weapons was not conservative at all.  There is no doubt that the Baltimores would have defeated any other cruiser in the world in a stand-up fight.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I don't understand what Tim's AAR has to do with the important discussion regarding cruisers.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
Ovarall, I agree, though I would note that the Mk 16 8" US gun + shell + turret (on Witchita and the Baltimores) was sufficiently superior to the 6" gun on the Clevelands that the decision to build ships with these weapons was not conservative at all.  There is no doubt that the Baltimores would have defeated any other cruiser in the world in a stand-up fight.
I would say that the Baltimores don't have any real contemporaries.  Everybody else ended their design of heavy cruisers in the early 30s (except for the Germans who, as mentioned, were retarded), and so the Baltimores stood alone in speed, armour and firepower, especially with the the US superheavy shells.  American fire control systems make it even more lop-sided.  Of course, the lighter guns still have the advantage of rate of fire (except for the Des Moines-class), but with radar fire-control, that doesn't matter as much.

I think that American wartime construction could handle any non-American warship out there, except maybe in the destroyer class, where some late-war construction could probably handle a Fletcher.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2009, 07:30:09 PM
I don't understand what Tim's AAR has to do with the important discussion regarding cruisers.
I'm just attention whoring for comments. :cry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2009, 08:52:13 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2009, 07:30:09 PM
I'm just attention whoring for comments. :cry:
Then you should have more naval combat in your AAR.

Razgovory

Bleh.  I tried playing the game but it kept crashing. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2009, 10:29:31 PM
Which mod are you using?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2009, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 05:32:17 AM
Which mod are you using?
:huh: Is it all patched up? I never had a problem with it?

None.
What about your computer's specs?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 12:28:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2009, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 05:32:17 AM
Which mod are you using?
:huh: Is it all patched up? I never had a problem with it?

None.
What about your computer's specs?

Good enough to play Eu3.