News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FM 2011, reprise

Started by Pedrito, April 05, 2011, 05:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

My tenure at Napoli may be very short. The results are no longer good, the finances are several millions in the red (I have not been buying players, just selling), and some players can't leave quickly enough.  :cry:

FunkMonk

Any of you guys post your triumphs or defeats using the YouTube uploader?

http://youtu.be/Po77_-0uu2c

This match in particular I will always remember fondly. Playing Lyon in the Champions League Final, I go two goals down early in the first half. My side is despondent and playing poorly. I make a couple of changes and give my players an ear full at the half.
We go in and win 4 - 2 after an incredible display.  :D

Also, I love this pass: http://youtu.be/Wl8gEPkNr8k
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Pedrito

Nice game there FM. Did you use hairdryer mode in the halftime, à la Ferguson?  :D

Which formation are you on?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Pedrito on May 27, 2011, 02:44:09 AM
Nice game there FM. Did you use hairdryer mode in the halftime, à la Ferguson?  :D

Which formation are you on?

L.

I've been using a pretty run-of-the-mill 4-2-3-1, with a defensive midfielder, a deep-lying playmaker, and an advanced playmaker making up the middle three and a winger and inside forward on the wings.

Typical XI is:

GK - Rene Adler
WBR - Bacary Sagna
CBR - Koscielny/Adil Rami
CBL - Thomas Vermaelen
WBL - Dante/Kieran Gibbs
MCR - Vukojevic/Alex Song
MCL - Fabregas
AMR - Theo Walcott
AMC - Marek Hamsik
AML - Angel di Maria
STC - van Persie

Viking

What are your player instructions?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on May 27, 2011, 05:49:45 PM
What are your player instructions?

GK - Rene Adler / Sweep Keep
WBR - Bacary Sagna / Wing back - Auto
CBR - Koscielny/Adil Rami / Central Defender - Defend
CBL - Thomas Vermaelen / Ball-playing Defender - Defend
WBL - Dante/Kieran Gibbs / Wing back - Auto
DMCR - Vukojevic/Alex Song / Defensive MF - Support
DMCL - Fabregas / Deep Lying PM - Support
AMR - Theo Walcott / Inside Forward - Attack
AMC - Marek Hamsik / Advanced PM - Support
AML - Angel di Maria / Winger - Support
STC - van Persie / Complete Forward - Attack

With Fabregas and Hamsik set to swap positions with each other. Might seem odd to play Fabregas/Hamsik in a defensive midfielder position, but I let them roam around and encourage forward runs.

FunkMonk

Liep

I haven't seen owngoals like that in the last many versions.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 06, 2011, 06:45:12 PM
http://youtu.be/Avzu45ZP27M  :lmfao:

It happens.  :Embarrass:

One thing is for sure; FM has great replayability value. I am on my third career in this version. I've started in Norway, in Germany and in England. If I had a vague clue about the MLS transfer rules, I might give that a go too.

My current career brought me in charge at Nottingham Forest after three seasons at Crewe, and despite a promotion to the Premiership and generally cutting expenses, the board seems to think I can attract talent that will keep the club up with a few shiny beads and pieces of string. I notice you have 45 million pounds sitting in that bank account, mr. chairman.  :glare:

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on June 09, 2011, 02:12:39 AM
One thing is for sure; FM has great replayability value.

Understatement of the year :D

It's highly addictive. I discovered the game in October 2009 and didn't play any other game until May 2011--when I decided to take a break and reload EU3...but I can feel my manager fingers itching for another round.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Since it plays well windowed and there's a fair bit of processing going on, it's a great game to play alongside some tv or posting here.

Viking

Quote from: Norgy on June 09, 2011, 11:43:35 AM
Since it plays well windowed and there's a fair bit of processing going on, it's a great game to play alongside some tv or posting here.

thats exactly how I play it... tv or ipod on, browser open and fm going on...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

2015 - Werder Bremen (last 3 years 7th, 2nd, 6th)

GK - T Wiese (Goalkeeper - Automatic)
DR - E Ruud (Full Back - Automatic)
DL - Chilean Regen (Full Back Automatic)
DC - Naldo (Limited Defender - Defend)
DC - P Mertesacker (Limited Defender - Defend)
MC - O Vukojevic (Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend)
MC - A Aquilani (Deep Lying Playmaker - Support)
AMC - E Granero (Attacking Midfielder - Support)
AMC - PC Skjelbred (Attacking Midfielder - Support)
AMC - M Marin (Attacking Midfielder - Support)
ST - V Kadlec (Poacher - Attack)

Not exactly a team of superstars, but I'm limited by my lack of funds. I've had some problems with morale so I routinely have to get rid of unhappy players which are clear Bremen first team players today. The little czech striker is on loan from Man U on the second season now, I've tried to sign him, but he keeps refusing. He's transferlisted at Man U, but he doesn't want to join me on a permanent basis. I've tried various combinations for my DC's (stopper/sweeper, limited/ball playing etc) and my AMCs I've found that keeping it simple helps my players not fuck up and act like divas cause they don't win. 

Norgy

How many can honestly say they feel they master the sideline shouts?

I use them, but probably not as much as I should, and mostly in "when all else fails" situations like chasing a draw in the closing minutes or trying to shut up shop completely in the dying moments of a game.

Also, I seemed to have worked out the pitch dimensions aspects of the game, but now I am more unsure of how to handle the small or narrow pitches. On smaller pitches, I tend to play shorter and more narrowly and push up more frequently in defence, and on more narrow pitches, the AMR/AML are more useful due to playing "in the hole" between the opposing midfield and back line.

FunkMonk

So some time ago I won the Champions League for the second time in five years and the Premier League for the fifth year in a row. I got pretty bored with the game, so I laid off it for a couple weeks. I thought about starting a game as Malaga or Lille or a team like that but decided to just put the game down instead.

Today I was feeling a little soccerish so I booted my Arsenal save back up. Smashed through a couple of friendlies, no trouble, pretty boring; the only thing that was even mildly exciting was that the "five-year plan" with the four-star youth I have is starting to bear fruit.

Then Rene Adler, my Goalkeeper of the Year Number 1, sprains his back in training three days before the start of the season. Out for a month. Okay, no problem, I'll just put in the 21 year old French backup. Reliable enough, his current ability is only 2 1/2 stars but his potential is 3 1/2 and he's pretty awesome. He'll step up and fill the void. Of course this is when I remember I sold him for £10 million during the summer transfer window. Shit.

Okay, fine. So I go to my backup backup goalkeeper, another 2 1/2 star Frenchman who isn't quite as good but still decent. I click on his little French name and realize to my horror that he's on international duty for the French Olympic team. Shit. I'm fucked. Fuck me. I desperately search the player lists for a decent loan-listed goalkeeper. I pick up two, JUST TO BE SURE. But of course the deals don't get done in time for the first game of the season against Aston Villa, a team who had the third-highest goals-scored last season.  :weep:
At the team selection screen I'm left to trawl through my Under-18 squad for a goalkeeper. I just signed a peppy young 16 year old English lad (:bowler:) for pennies who had decent stats for his age along with good potential, so I decide to play him since he's the best among the Under-18s. Might as fucking well, eh? That is until I see a big red button next to his name that says INELIGIBLE. WHAT THE FUCK, I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE BEST GK ON THE U18 SQUAD. WHAT THE FUCK GAME FUCK YOU TOO.

So I just randomly pick some punk GK who probably just wandered onto the training grounds one day and the U18 coach decided to keep him. I click Play.

What follows is the most incredible season opener ever. The score is 2:4 in my favor at the half.

And it all happened before the eyes of probably the luckiest 17-year-old ever. I give you the worst goalkeeper ever to start for Arsenal FC. DECLAN FRIEND (WTF?)

So, in the end, I guess I learned my lesson. Next time I'll be more careful about selling asshole French backup goalkeepers who keep agitating for a move and be more attentive to useless and unnecessary international tournaments.

Of course now I'm excited about this game again.  :cry: