News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 17, 2011, 07:59:38 PM
You are correct. On all counts. Of course the reason they held on to them because they were perceived as risk-free investments since they could always sell to FM&FM in the end.

The banks thought that Freddie and Fannie would buy up their mortgages at face value even after they'd defaulted?  That doesn't sound right.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 17, 2011, 07:21:34 PM
You end up with a new feudal society with the masses having their lives directed by an all-powerful bureaucracy, with little choices left for themselves because the bureaucrats deem the unwashed masses unfit to govern themselves.  It's funny how the modern left has embraced aristocracy as a form of government.

I may have slept through my medieval government class, but I am pretty sure that definition is absolutely nothing like a feudal society.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2011, 07:54:06 PM
It's hilarious to see Neil, an actual conservative, absolutely not even come close to the level of comprehension of modern American proto-conservatism.

See what we're dealing with down here, Neil?
It's funny how prosperity seems to sometimes convince people that rolling back the last seven thousand years of social progress might be a good idea.  It's not so much neoconservative as it is neolithic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

It's hilarious to see Neil, an actual conservative, absolutely not even come close to the level of comprehension of modern American proto-conservatism.

It could be because American conservatives are reactionaries at best.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2011, 09:50:18 PM

It could be because American conservatives are reactionaries at best.

I think Hans just lost his composure again and let slip what he, and other conservatives, really think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2011, 09:57:15 PM
I think Hans just lost his composure again and let slip what he, and other conservatives, really think.
Hard to see how this is not the case.  You don't say such things unless you really mean them (and are too stupid to censor them).

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2011, 10:10:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2011, 09:57:15 PM
Hard to see how this is not the case.  You don't say such things unless you really mean them (and are too stupid to censor them).

Last time he did this was back in 2005 when he was gloating about the imminent demise of the Democratic Party.  I Kept the quote in my Sig for a while, so all would remember it.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  Cause I forgot exactly what he said. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 17, 2011, 07:59:38 PM
I remember back in 2009 reading an article in Businessweek about a small bank in Texas that weathered the crisis well because they refused to participate in the subprime market.  The CEO was remarking how thru they decade he was constantly harrassed and threatened by federal regulators for refusing to participate in the subprime market.  He of course was feeling a littlebit smug about the whole thing because his refusal to cave in to banking regulators left him standing strong after the collapse.
Actually I think I heard an interview with this guy on NPR around that time.  Was the bank in like Amarillo, Lubbock or Waco, or another of the smaller Texas cities?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Standard & Poor's issued a negative outlook for US Treasuries today, which is what is causing the carnage in the stock market.

Those of you who think the deficit discussion is just a popularity contest please take note.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2011, 12:44:58 PM
Standard & Poor's issued a negative outlook for US Treasuries today, which is what is causing the carnage in the stock market.

Those of you who think the deficit discussion is just a popularity contest please take note.
Honest question:  does the rating of the US debt matter?  You'd think if there ever were an item where everyone would do their own due diligence rather than rely on outside ratings, US bond rating would be it. 

I also wonder what the reason for the downgrade is.  Is it because the debt level is dangerous from a financial standpoint, or is it due to the game of chicken being played with the debt ceiling?

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on April 18, 2011, 01:34:51 PM

Honest question:  does the rating of the US debt matter?  You'd think if there ever were an item where everyone would do their own due diligence rather than rely on outside ratings, US bond rating would be it. 

I also wonder what the reason for the downgrade is.  Is it because the debt level is dangerous from a financial standpoint, or is it due to the game of chicken being played with the debt ceiling?

Plenty of institutions have rules or guidelines based on bond ratings.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Probably not for pros.  From what I've read ratings follow the market.  It might make a difference for retail investors.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2011, 01:44:04 PM
Plenty of institutions have rules or guidelines based on bond ratings.

Insurance companies and pension funds are limited to investment grade (at least BBB??).  I don't think a drop from AAA to AA would *force* anyone to unload.

KRonn

Doesn't the rating going down mean the US owes more interest on its borrowing, increasing the amount of budget that goes towards interest? For one thing anyway. More expensive to finance the debt, which isn't going down so fast anytime soon.
It seems to me that questions on the amount of debt have been lingering for a long while, so I'd think it's more that at present than questions on the debt ceiling.