News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2011, 04:35:21 PM
To be fair to the Democrats they've passed a number of cost control measures for Medicare and are proposing more.  Hans dismissed them earlier but the Kaiser Foundation and the OECD think they could be significant - though neither, nor the CBO are sure.  The reforms have, for the most part, never been done on a large scale so no-one actually knows how they'll work.

What are you referring to?   The only cost control measures I'm aware of are reducing the overall Medicare budget, computerizing medical records, and death panels.  Oh yeah, and the new proposal to appoint a commission to study it.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 20, 2011, 01:39:52 PM
But no worries, we can just "tax the rich" and that will make it all work out. Even if it doesn't.
Well, you sure punched the shit out of that strawman!  Feel like a hero, now?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 07:44:43 PM
What are you referring to?   The only cost control measures I'm aware of are reducing the overall Medicare budget, computerizing medical records, and death panels.  Oh yeah, and the new proposal to appoint a commission to study it.
Who is proposing death panels?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2011, 04:54:11 PM
I would include some sort of guidance mechanism. I do like the idea of a % of GDP hard spending cap. Or something similar which would be difficult to overcome during normal times.
You talkin' about the Social Security Lock Box?

Doesn't work.  Pure hype and bullshit. I hate those kinds of gimmicks, because they avoid actual decision-making.

I say we go back to the "pay - go" statute that was in effect before Dubyah came into office.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:12:36 PM

It got slipped back in by executive order.

Neil

I'm sure that even if you give them a chance, Congress will still find a way to avoid making a decision.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:12:36 PM
It got slipped back in by executive order.
I don't think they used the term 'death panels'.  Using such emotive terms is useless, and poisons understanding and dialogue.  I think that you are a liar.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:23:08 PM
I don't think they used the term 'death panels'.  Using such emotive terms is useless, and poisons understanding and dialogue.  I think that you are a liar.

Kay.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 08:23:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:23:08 PM
Kay.
So we are in agreement then?

Admiral Yi

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:28:34 PM
So we are in agreement then?
No.  But that's OK too.
Indeed.  You have the right to disagree with Me, but it's not the optimal thing to do.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2011, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 20, 2011, 01:39:52 PM
But no worries, we can just "tax the rich" and that will make it all work out. Even if it doesn't.
Well, you sure punched the shit out of that strawman!  Feel like a hero, now?

Man, I sure wish that was a strawman.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2011, 05:59:45 AM
Your wish has come true.  Well, actually, it was true all along, but the effect is the same.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2011, 06:23:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2011, 05:59:45 AM
Your wish has come true.  Well, actually, it was true all along, but the effect is the same.

Right, because nobody has argued that the solution to the debt problem is to raise taxes, and specifically on the wealthy. Clearly a strawman.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned