News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on April 05, 2011, 08:04:01 PM
Scary stuff. Ryan explained to a reporter that even doing his plan, cutting trillions, would take 28 years to balance the budget. How did we get so messed up??   :huh:
Voodoo economics, and the Democrats surrendering to the idea that low taxes are desirable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Scary stuff. Ryan explained to a reporter that even doing his plan, cutting trillions, would take 28 years to balance the budget. How did we get so messed up??   :huh:
So messed up that people swallow what Ryan says without checking the facts?

Education.  I blame the educational system.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

The very easy answer is enacting unfunded tax cuts, and refusing to consider any tax increases even in the face of the most severe deficits.  The much harder answer is figuring out how a large percentage of the public was socially engineered to forget that tax increases are ever an option.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2011, 11:25:12 PM
Scary stuff. Ryan explained to a reporter that even doing his plan, cutting trillions, would take 28 years to balance the budget. How did we get so messed up??   :huh:
The very easy answer is enacting unfunded tax cuts, and refusing to consider any tax increases even in the face of the most severe deficits.  The much harder answer is figuring out how a large percentage of the public was socially engineered to forget that tax increases are ever an option.

These are great points, since it is clear that nobody ever increases taxes in the US, and the reason we have such a "severe deficit" is all about not bringing in enough cash to fund our perfectly consistently sized government.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 11:53:40 PM

These are great points, since it is clear that nobody ever increases taxes in the US, and the reason we have such a "severe deficit" is all about not bringing in enough cash to fund our perfectly consistently sized government.
Income taxes as percent of GDP:

2000:  14.57%
2010:  9.58%

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 11:53:40 PM
Just keep telling yourself that.  Record it, and play it in your sleep.  Find some bogus, unsourced, and misleading statistics about income tax versus GDP, write them down, and sleep with them under your pillow.

You will wake up either crazy or DGuller or both.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

The problem is that the natural party of tax increases is treating the debt as a joke.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2011, 06:43:03 AM
The problem is that the natural party of tax increases is treating the debt as a joke.
The natural party of tax increases?  Allegedly the Democrats are the tax and spend party, but they seem to have conceded on the taxes, and settled for just spending.  The Republicans are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, but I can't remember the last time that they proposed a tax increase.  With them, it always seems to be about cutting taxes, and then proposing small, ideological cuts to spending.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2011, 06:54:42 AM
The natural party of tax increases?  Allegedly the Democrats are the tax and spend party, but they seem to have conceded on the taxes, and settled for just spending.  The Republicans are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, but I can't remember the last time that they proposed a tax increase.  With them, it always seems to be about cutting taxes, and then proposing small, ideological cuts to spending.

4.6 trillion being small and ideological.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 08:37:27 PM
So messed up that people swallow what Ryan says without checking the facts?

Education.  I blame the educational system.
We've been similar things as Ryans says from a lot of people in the know, who aren't political ideologues in the issue. From politicians to those in the Federal Reserve and Treasury, to others in the financial fields. Ryan saying we won't get out of this for 28 years is certainly changeable, depending  on the economy, GDP growth, etc. But he isn't saying what others aren't warning about, that the government has a very serious deficit problem that needs to be addressed.

KRonn

I think more so the very easy, but difficult to swallow answers, are more like we need some reforms to take place in Defense, Social Security, Medicare, along with the more low hanging budget "fruit". Reforms to save those programs just as much as rein in the deficit. I don't think we can tax our way out of this.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2011, 06:56:49 AM
Cutting $4.6 trillion from a $3.82 trillion budget would be quite a feat.  If they can pull it off for even ten years in a row, they will eliminate most of the total debt.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Isn't that more than the total budget?  They're going to spend a negative amount?

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on April 06, 2011, 07:04:38 AM
We've been similar things as Ryans says from a lot of people in the know, who aren't political ideologues in the issue. From politicians to those in the Federal Reserve and Treasury, to others in the financial fields. Ryan saying we won't get out of this for 28 years is certainly changeable, depending  on the economy, GDP growth, etc. But he isn't saying what others aren't warning about, that the government has a very serious deficit problem that needs to be addressed.
The statistic of "28 years" is meaningless, because it is based on a bunch of unstated assumptions.  People who through out cherry-picked numbers like that without qualifying them are, in effect, lying.

I'd argue that the government borrowing $1.6 trillion so it can spend $3.6 trillion is a more immediate indicator of the problem.  Or, the fact that total US debt will increase by 10% in this year alone.  Numbers like that;  supportable and meaningful.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2011, 07:57:52 AM
Isn't that more than the total budget?  They're going to spend a negative amount?
That's the number Yi is quoting.

On the other hand, if the savings is spread over years, then Yi's use of it is meaningless.  Saving $10 per year will save $4.6 trillion if you wait long enough, but I think everyone would agree that a $10 savings would be small (and probably ideological).

Bayraktar!