News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately, garbon, I can't abort her.  :P

I'll pretend my funds don't go to birth control, and aren't being used for condoms for you faggots.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2011, 06:49:50 PM
Mike Pence R-Indiana was on MSNBC this morning, said that the "defunding" of Planned Parenthood ("the biggest abortion provider in the United States with federal money") in the GOP's budget proposal is non-negotiable, and they will stop the government on that very issue.

I just upped my monthly donation.

Really, really stupid.

What I don't get though is how the Tea Baggers can block it by themselves.  There's not that many of them.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

I'll pretend my funds don't go to birth control, and aren't being used for condoms for you faggots.

I liked the pairing of her quotation about the repub budget and that photo. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2011, 06:59:56 PM
Mike Pence R-Indiana was on MSNBC this morning, said that the "defunding" of Planned Parenthood ("the biggest abortion provider in the United States with federal money") in the GOP's budget proposal is non-negotiable, and they will stop the government on that very issue.

Really, really stupid.

I'll give my money to whomever I like.  :ultra:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2011, 06:59:56 PM

Really, really stupid.

What I don't get though is how the Tea Baggers can block it by themselves.  There's not that many of them.
There are plenty of them voting in the primaries, and they already have a formidable record of purging the insufficiently extreme from the GOP ranks.  Sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot doing it, but having a reputation for irrationality is not necessarily a bad thing.

Neil

This is just the example of the ideological cuts I was talking about.  Instead of cutting things where it counts, the Republicans are cutting without regard to budgetary or social utility.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2011, 08:04:04 PM
There are plenty of them voting in the primaries, and they already have a formidable record of purging the insufficiently extreme from the GOP ranks.  Sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot doing it, but having a reputation for irrationality is not necessarily a bad thing.

Plenty voting in the primaries, not that many in the House.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2011, 08:31:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2011, 08:04:04 PM

Plenty voting in the primaries, not that many in the House.
Why replace them wholesale when you can just intimidate them with a few well-publicized examples?  The important thing that Tea Party has the power to primary someone, and no one wants to do something to put themselves in their crosshairs. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2011, 08:49:32 PM
Why replace them wholesale when you can just intimidate them with a few well-publicized examples?  The important thing that Tea Party has the power to primary someone, and no one wants to do something to put themselves in their crosshairs.

OK, my post wasn't very clear.

Apparently "the Tea Party wing" of the Republican party is blocking the compromise bill in the House; I think it's for 32 billion in cuts, with the Democrats allowed to choose what gets cut.  Now my understanding is that "the Tea Party wing" isn't that many Congressmen.  20? 40?  So it seems like one of two things must be true: either the Tea Party wing is virtually every Republican except Boehner, or there are few to no Democrats voting for the compromise.

DGuller

Gotcha.  It could still be the intimidation factor, though.  Maybe few Republicans want to go ahead without Tea Party block consent, even if the block itself lacks the direct power to block anything.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2011, 08:56:52 PM
Gotcha.  It could still be the intimidation factor, though.  Maybe few Republicans want to go ahead without Tea Party block consent, even if the block itself lacks the direct power to block anything.
I think you are right, and that this is the crisis that will determine whether Boehner is just Pelosi with a Y chromosome, or whether he is an actual leader.  If he shuts down the US government over the lie that planned parenthood provides abortion with federal funds, then he is the former, and the US is well and truly fucked.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2011, 06:34:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2011, 08:56:52 PM
I think you are right, and that this is the crisis that will determine whether Boehner is just Pelosi with an X chromosome, or whether he is an actual leader.  If he shuts down the US government over the lie that planned parenthood provides abortion with federal funds, then he is the former, and the US is well and truly fucked.
Just so we're clear, what sort of chromosomes are you alleging that Pelosi has?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2011, 07:45:38 AM
Just so we're clear, what sort of chromosomes are you alleging that Pelosi has?
Well, that was an amusing mistake!  :lol:

Freudian slip?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jamesww

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

:lol:

garbon

QuoteObama threatens to veto GOP budget extension plan
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.