News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

How about we destroy Afghanistan and salt the earth, then leave?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on April 04, 2011, 09:34:34 PM
How about we destroy Afghanistan and salt the earth, then leave?
We should use our explosives to flatten it, literally.  All those mountains are making it impossible for the civilization to seep through.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2011, 09:27:25 PM
I'm for sensible cuts in defense spending, but how about we get out of Afghanistan and refrain for any more Libya-type actions first?
That's viable.  It would be better still to eliminate the Air Force.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2011, 10:03:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2011, 09:27:25 PM
I'm for sensible cuts in defense spending, but how about we get out of Afghanistan and refrain for any more Libya-type actions first?
That's viable.  It would be better still to eliminate the Air Force.

Bah, it'd just get shoved back under the Army, who would mis-manage to an even greater degree.

HisMajestyBOB

Eventually all government agencies will be amalgamated under the DoD, since that's the only department that will receive funding in the future.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 04, 2011, 10:50:54 PM
Eventually all government agencies will be amalgamated under the DoD, since that's the only department that will receive funding in the future.

Service means citizenship.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2011, 06:38:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 04, 2011, 09:25:35 AM
You just don't get the feeling that he wanted to be President because he had any kind of vision of an America that he wanted, or some kind of task he felt he needed to accomplish, or really anything other than "Well, I *can* be President, therefore I will do my best to become President". It is a goal, rather than a means to attain a goal.

Wow, you make Obama sound like, well, like some sort of uninterested and overwhelmed progeny that ran for the office out of a sense of dynastic obligation.  Like it was expected of him by his family's political lineage or something.

Well, whatever faults you want to lay at the feet of the Shrubbery, not knowing what he wanted to do with the Presidency isn't really a bitch that will stick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 12:02:35 AMWell, whatever faults you want to lay at the feet of the Shrubbery, not knowing what he wanted to do with the Presidency isn't really a bitch that will stick.

Not all Presidents are lucky enough to have a 9/11.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 04, 2011, 03:07:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2011, 03:02:45 PM
That's a true statement, and tautological to the point of idiocy.

Ultimately, when it comes to voting, it doesn't matter who claims to be on your side, it only matters who votes with you.

:hmm:
:face:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2011, 04:10:33 PM
I do think that Obama should work on Plan B.  He should replace Biden with Clinton, and then produce a birth certificate.  From Kenya.
:D

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 04, 2011, 10:13:12 PM
Bah, it'd just get shoved back under the Army, who would mis-manage to an even greater degree.
Perhaps, but at least you could heavily cut their budget.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/04/05/obama-to-gop-we-dont-have-time-for-games/

QuotePresident Barack Obama stepped out personally to address the impasse on budget negotiations and reject a Republican proposal for another temporary resolution unless it is to give Congress a few more days to pass a permanent deal.

"We are now at a point where there is no excuse to extend this further," Mr. Obama said during a surprise appearance at the daily White House briefing. "I shouldn't have to oversee a process where Congress deals with last-year's budget when we only have six months left."

The president, who has mostly stayed out of the budget debate until now, was visibly irritated over the impasse in negotiations. "There can be some negotiations about composition" of the cuts, Mr. Obama said, but he said he will not negotiate on ideological issues like abortion in the current budget discussions.

"We don't have time for games," he said. "Not on this."

The current stopgap spending measure for fiscal 2011, which began last October, expires at midnight Friday.  The federal government is preparing for a partial government  shutdown to begin this weekend if  another stopgap measure or legislation funding the government through the remainder of the fiscal year isn't approved soon.

Mr. Obama said that the White House has "identified areas where we have made significant cuts," and that he has moved to accept Republicans' "original proposal for how much would be cut."

"We are now closer than we've ever been to getting an agreement," Mr. Obama said. "The only question is whether politics or ideology is going to get in the way of preventing a shutdown."

Mr. Obama said House Speaker John  Boehner (R., Ohio) did not want White House negotiators at a meeting between House Republican leaders and Senate Democratic leaders this afternoon.

"If they can't sort it out, then I want them back here tomorrow," he said. "And I will have my entire team work through the details" to get a deal done.

He sounds a little bit ridiculous with this as one of his main statements about the budget.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Well, I wouldn't plan any trips to a national park soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017