Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

I thought that Arya scene was great. They kind of stumbled on the execution a little bit (maybe trying to get the length of the episode down a little? It felt like a 20 minute story compressed into 8), but who fucking cares? The reveal was awesome.

I watch the show with my wife and her best friend. They both jumped out of their seats and cheered when she pulled off her face.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 05:51:40 AM
I thought that Arya scene was great. They kind of stumbled on the execution a little bit (maybe trying to get the length of the episode down a little? It felt like a 20 minute story compressed into 8), but who fucking cares? The reveal was awesome.

I watch the show with my wife and her best friend. They both jumped out of their seats and cheered when she pulled off her face.

She should have said "the Starks send their regards," though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2016, 12:50:49 AM
BA, i don't get the pic :(
Kevin Durant after winning the MVP award stated that his mom was, "The real MVP".  Since then, Durant at the podium implies the idea of, "You the/da real MVP!".  In this case, I was stating Lyanna Mormont was "the real MVP" of the season/episode.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/kevin-durant-mvp-speech
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 05:51:40 AM

Agreed. Plus, this was purely a setup scene for the next season. Arya will go on a murder spree, and we will probably see her planning in more elaborate detail.

Solmyr

Liep

Great episode. I was totally thrown off by the clerk. It's a Danish actor most known for his bizarre humour and over the top acting, so seeing him pull off something (for him) very subtle and in that show was weird indeed.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Solmyr on June 27, 2016, 07:52:07 AM
QoT owned the bad pussay. :D

The implication in that scene is that her family was completely wiped out.  But wasn't her other son put into play as a potential spouse for Sansa - IIRC that made the show.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The first 20 minutes or so was about the best the show has ever been IMO.  Perfect Cersei - unleashing her carefully plotted and vicious revenge, taking out all her enemies and repaying her debts.  And committing a staggering strategic blunder with the same.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

Danish tax payer money at work. Someone counted the words uttered in each game of thrones episode. Why? State TV has to pretend to do some work I guess. Source is of course a site for subtitles to illegally downloaded movies/series.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 10:17:21 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 27, 2016, 07:52:07 AM
QoT owned the bad pussay. :D

The implication in that scene is that her family was completely wiped out.  But wasn't her other son put into play as a potential spouse for Sansa - IIRC that made the show.

That's from the books, in the show it was only Lancel and Margaery.

The Larch

Btw, loved it when Sansa said "Only a fool would trust Littlefinger".  :lol:

And glad to see Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech from the books recycled, even if it's in a duet.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on June 26, 2016, 11:08:56 PM
Chalk it up to GoT's consistent inability to really clarify how much time is passing.  To have him depart from Meereen, appear in Dorne, then be back in Meereen in time to be on the boats denies us the opportunity to see how Varys' first meeting with Daenarys went as well.   :mad:
Well, the Tyrell matriarch had the time to get the news of her son and grandchild's death, knew it was Cersei, been asked to meet the Dorne's representative where Varys was (it was most likely his plan, even if shaped differently than in the books).
Some time had to pass before that happens.  And Dany is not ready to leave yet when she names Tyrion Queen's hand.

and if Arya is really that capable, what hope does anyone have against her?
If it's more than a one thing event, they will figure that there is a very skilled assassin operating and they will hire other very skilled assassin to prevent her attacks, plus bodyguards under all circumstances where the important people are not totally alone.  She may be skilled, but if faced with a couple of alert bodyguards plus the victim, she may not fare so well.  An assassin like her relies on stealth.  Get in, get out without ever being seen.  Even if she manages to kill the two bodyguards before killing her target, it is most likely they will have time to sound the alarm, other guards will come rushing in and it will compromise her escape, plus make other infiltration very difficult as everyone will be screened for weapons, if she manages to escape unharmed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.