News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2016, 10:36:39 PM
Very good episode.  It was ruined a bit by putting Varys on the ship at the end.  I guess he had his teleport machine safely in the hold.

Chalk it up to GoT's consistent inability to really clarify how much time is passing.  To have him depart from Meereen, appear in Dorne, then be back in Meereen in time to be on the boats denies us the opportunity to see how Varys' first meeting with Daenarys went as well.   :mad:

QuoteKnew that girl was Arya right away because she was so out of place.  That is the only thing I didnt like about the story.  She can go anywhere and kill anyone - why does the rest matter?

I didn't like this either.  Sure, Walder gets what's coming to him, and we even get Frey pie, but...what?  It was so rushed, and if Arya is really that capable, what hope does anyone have against her?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grallon

Lady Mormont for President  :D

Great episode, yet I have to agree with Habbaku about the very loose time stamps going on here.

And now we wait another year. *sigh*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Phillip V

I once perversely thought about Littlefinger ascending the Iron Throne, but then the show made him into a weasely loser coming onto Sansa like that at the tree.  I enjoyed her rejection of him after he revealed his true fantasy to her.

I am inclined to believe Sansa is happy for her bastard brother bring crowned.  The question is not truly settled whether she had/has ambitions for power, but if she does not, then the look she gave Littlefinger at the end is one of seeing a threat to her family.

Jaron

Are those poor dragons going to have to fly the entire way?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Still watching. 

Choked up a little at the King of the North scene.  :cry:

Can someone explain the Ned at the Tower scene to me?  I get that's Jon, but who's the chick, why does Jon have to be a secret, etc?

katmai

That was his sister Lyanna who was "kidnapped away from her promised husband" Robert Baratheon and "raped" by Rhaegar Targaryen. So basically it revealed he is the nephew of Daenerys and Ned.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

LaCroix

the teleporting stuff is easily explained by the show just not showing the characters traveling around. the part I found a little ridiculous was lancel not blowing out the candles. overall, fantastic end to a great season.

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2016, 01:15:53 AM
That was his sister Lyanna who was "kidnapped away from her promised husband" Robert Baratheon and "raped" by Rhaegar Targaryen. So basically it revealed he is the nephew of Daenerys and Ned.

:yes:  And if revealed to King Robert, he'd likely have been slain, as he would be a Targaryen bastard child.

So, Ned claimed he had a bastard son while away at war in order to fulfill his dying sister's wish.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 01:02:56 AM
Still watching. 

Choked up a little at the King of the North scene.  :cry:

Can someone explain the Ned at the Tower scene to me?  I get that's Jon, but who's the chick, why does Jon have to be a secret, etc?

The chick is Ned's sister who just had a baby with the Mad King's son Rhaegar (Dany's dead oldest brother).  Jon is thus made of a Targaryen-Stark coupling and a strong claimant to the Iron Throne if revealed.  Ned pretended Jon was his bastard so that Robert would not kill the baby like he did the other children.

Admiral Yi

The last scene really needed some shots of Dothrakis puking their lungs out.

Razgovory

So I guess Jon's real last name is Blackfyre.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

One question:  How did Varys move from Slavers bay to Dorne and then back again?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017