Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Felt like kind of a flat episode to me.

grumbler

Finally, some payoff episodes.

I was surprised that Jon Snow and the North were ignored this episode.  That's okay, because that allowed some additional plot advancements elsewhere, but it kinda cuts across the grain of what they have done so far.

Interesting that  they are bringing Edmure Tully up, now, as that was an element from a few books ago.  In some ways, the series has yet to catch up to the books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I thought it was a good episode, except the Dany line, which was just filler.  I guess Middle Eastern extras need to eat too.

Best part was the Arya line.  My hunch is it was a test the whole time, which she passed.  Maybe she'll gut blondie, who is actually the one who failed.

Jaron

Explain your hunch. It makes little and less sense.

HVC

So I guess arya is going to die now. She'll probably kill the waif, but pretty boy will stab her or something back in westoros before she can off someone from her list, because Starks have bad luck, especially when they try to do what's right.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2016, 10:41:51 PM
So I guess arya is going to die now. She'll probably kill the waif, but pretty boy will stab her or something back in westoros before she can off someone from her list, because Starks have bad luck, especially when they try to do what's right.

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on May 29, 2016, 10:45:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2016, 10:41:51 PM

:rolleyes:
:unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on May 29, 2016, 10:34:15 PM
Explain your hunch. It makes little and less sense.

If it comes down to a kill or be killed situation between Arya and the Faceless Men, obviously she would have to die, so some plot device is needed whereby Arya can remain true to her principles.  A handy plot device is that the Faceless Men really only do kill those who deserve to die, and she was sent on this bad assignment to she how she would respond.  And the only people we've seen killed so far by Frosted Highlights have been Lannister thugs and the cheating insurance salesman.

Admiral Yi

And also up to now when a main character dies, it's usually some sort of surprise.  I can't think of anyone who's death was telegraphed. It wouldn't be consistent with the series for Arya to be holed up in her pitch black cell with her Girl Scout sword waiting for the inevitable and then just die.

Razgovory

I thought Eddard Stark's death was telegraphed.  They even got a crowd to watch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Incidentally, as fans pointed out, this is the first episode this season when noone died. Probably that's why people feel it was boring or flat - we got used to slaughter.

Martinus

So, what game is Margaery playing? I mean, I suppose her short term goal was "get myself out of prison" but in the long run? I am pretty sure she is not a true convert.

Jaron

http://imgur.com/gallery/5WMdv/new

Might be interesting for y'all. Someone broke down Bran's visions frame by frame for your enjoyment.