News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 03, 2016, 02:45:56 PM
Considering Bran is busy beyond the wall, I think it more likely Jon was inhabiting the wolf.

That's my guess as well, and I think that it is going to be the explanation for why Jon doesn't suffer the memory and personality loss that Dondarrion did.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I think that if Jon had super Vegan warg powers they would have foreshadowed it at some point.

The pooch stirring I just interpreted as heightened sensitivity.

Martinus

Hamilcar

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 02:49:19 PM
I think that if Jon had super Vegan warg powers they would have foreshadowed it at some point.

At least in the books, all the Stark children are powerful wargs.

Martinus

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 03, 2016, 02:50:27 PM

Jon is a Targ.

Admiral Yi

Eh?  I read the books and I don't remember that.

Zanza

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2016, 02:51:44 PM

Jon is a Targ.

While most Targs are remarkably inbred, Jon isn't :P

Hence the lack of silver hair.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Anyways, on the show none of the Starks other than Brann give any indication of being wargs.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 02:52:06 PM

Eh?  I read the books and I don't remember that.
Arya "wargs" into her dire wolf in her dreams. But it's different from Bran or the wildlings that warg while being awake.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2016, 02:56:42 PM
Anyways, on the show none of the Starks other than Brann give any indication of being wargs.

Arya wargs Nymeria, and her cat.
Robb clearly wargs Grey Wind.
Jon wargs Ghost.
Sansa doesn't really show any warging ability, likely because Lady is dead.

IIRC GRRM Himself confirmed that they are all wargs.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 03, 2016, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2016, 02:14:47 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on May 03, 2016, 02:07:02 PM
I maintain that Jon Snow's resurrection was a misdirection. Melisandre didn't do anything. Bran is warging him.

There was something going on with the Dire Wolf in that scene.  I think you are probably correct.  But Melisandre is going to get/take all the credit.  Setting up a confrontation between the God of Light and the Old Gods - or at least their followers?

Considering Bran is busy beyond the wall, I think it more likely Jon was inhabiting the wolf.

Yeah, as I said a before that episode.  That is what I think was happening.  We don't know the limits of the power of the three eyed crow though.  I am not sure there is much of a geographical limitation - especially at a location that is so close.

Josquius

Don't forget bran can travel in time as well as space. Not impossible it could be a future bran.
Though I doubt it.
Could be something with mels magic combining with the wolf warging. ... but the way I saw it was just that the wolf detected Jon had come back to life and moved to investigate
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The pooch stirring I just interpreted as heightened sensitivity.

I'm not sure what you mean.  In the books, all the Stark children have warg abilities, especially with their dire wolves.  I think that there has been a lot of foreshadowing of warging into animals and surviving death, and I can't think of a reason they would spend screen time on that if it weren't going to be used (e.g. to have Jon's personality survive death intact).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2016, 03:17:51 PM
  Martin has said that the starting point for his work was the War of the Roses, which took place in late medieval England..

Which is what the made the narrative interesting and stand out from the usual.

But both books and show have increasingly increased emphasis on the fantasy aspect (dragons, magic, faceless men, warging, dead raising, snow zombies, etc) while - as you point out - eliminating the more interesting savvy and brutally realist political operators.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson