News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Yeah, you know what I mean. :P

I think GRRM/Weiss/Benioff subverting the trope in his case, however, will mean that he will not come back fully himself.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

GRRM is gonna pet cemetery Jon? I still think that in the book hell warg into his wolf and eventually a dragon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2016, 07:51:52 AM
Well, he is dead. It is just not a permanent state.

He's just asleep - though now they've stunned him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2016, 07:56:33 AM
Yeah, you know what I mean. :P

I think GRRM/Weiss/Benioff subverting the trope in his case, however, will mean that he will not come back fully himself.

Yeah, that's consistent with what Dondorrian (sp?) experienced.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I think he is alive and inhabiting the dire wolf atm.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2016, 09:35:39 AM
I think he is alive and inhabiting the dire wolf atm.

This seems the most reasonable theory to fit all the facts. (If it was real, him being truly dead would, but that ignores his position in the tv show)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I never got too into the dire wolf theory. Seems unnecessary with Mel around. Unless it's some way to get around the resurrected as a lessened person thing?
But that feels cheap.

Plus in the tv show have they ever gone into Jon warging? Can't remember it in recent series at the least.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

They did go into unnecessary detail on the Wildling warging into the eagle, so my guess is that that was shown to set up a main character doing the same.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2016, 08:25:48 AM
They did go into unnecessary detail on the Wildling warging into the eagle, so my guess is that that was shown to set up a main character doing the same.

Or that was just to show Bran's powers are not unique.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2016, 01:03:54 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2016, 11:29:43 PM
But even in the book the basement bbq means the dorne storyline goes nowhere since we now know what happens to Marcella anyway.

You're assuming the point of the Dorne storyline is Quentyn.  I don't agree with that at all.  The Dorne storyline seems, to me, to be centered around Dorne attempting to side with and put a Targaryen on the throne again, which they are doing in the books, and probably will end up doing in the show, in abbreviated form.  The Sand Snakes will almost certainly side with Daenarys when she makes her landing.

The point of the Dorne storyline is that they (with the Facelessmen and Varys) are the primary opposition to the Bloodraven faction.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2016, 07:41:42 AM
Jon is not dead. I know GRRM is all about subverting narrative tropes, but it would simply be poor storytelling to build his backstory so much just to kill him off.

Plus, he is a Chekov's corpse - there is a reason why they spend so much time around it.

Jon's gone forever in Ghost. Bran will warg Jon (and soon-dead Jaime) to become the three-headed dragon, living out his fantasy of being a hero knight.

Habbaku

Hype machine is running at full speed tonight.  There might actually be some plot advancement!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on May 01, 2016, 04:58:05 PM
Hype machine is running at full speed tonight.  There might actually be some plot advancement!

Hope it doesn't get in the way of good nudity.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

All the giants and mountains had a good moment in this episode.

I'm not sure the show isn't making the same mistake with Roose that they made with Tywin; those competent scheming characters are scarce as hen's teeth and they can drive the show.  Killing them without need is wasteful.

Bayraktar!